AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
778 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a CM 4228 with a 7777 pre-amp and a rotor. I get great reception on all 8 UHF digital channels in my area. The only problem I have is that everytime an airplane flies over my house I get drop-outs. Other than moving, is there anything that will help with this problem? I have a Hughes E86 and an RCA DTC-100 for my OTA reception.

·
Registered
1,267 Posts
Anything that gets you a better cleaner signal, with S/N to spare would help. So a more directional antenna, high enough to get line of sight to the tower would be ideal. If the plane is in your line of sight to the tower, then just getting a direct signal would be extra important.

If the planes are high up between you and the tower 2 antennas vertically stacked could narrow the beam vertically and block some of the reflection off the planes.

Also, some tuners are better than others at handling dynamic multipath. Future ones will hopefully be much better still.

Finally consider if your problem is really multipath or overload. A nearby plane if you use a preamp and have no line of sight, or are far away (say over 50 miles from the tower) could reflect a far stronger signal to your antenna that could overload your preamp, making things even worse than the multipath problem.

If your signals are strong an antenna down near the ground might help since you would see the plane reflection, but not as much of the ground reflection of the plane reflection.

·
Registered
768 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by Apps1
The only problem I have is that everytime an airplane flies over my house I get drop-outs. Other than moving, is there anything that will help with this problem? I have a Hughes E86 and an RCA DTC-100 for my OTA reception.
Along with weather dropouts, this is one of the main reasons that I was anxious to get HD via cable. If it is available in your area you might want to check it out. I gave up some channels (local OTA) going to cable but I also gained HBO-HD East and West. Well worth it for me.

·
Registered
10,880 Posts
The 4228 has a lot of gain, but it's not as directional as a yagi antenna. For multipath, problems, you need a good directional antenna, like the televes DAT75.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.