AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
323 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Does Capturing Video in DV the best for Quality? I am looking to capture sat video with the least amount of hassel and time to playback on my projector. Can someone steer me in the right direction? Please.

After reading this forum for months I can't seem to stop my head from spinning. I understand everyone or most have a different opinion but can someone break it down into english. Please keep in mind budget will not allow for a thousands to do this but if takes a few hundred for the hardware then that is fine.

Thanks for any input.

·
Registered
702 Posts
Probably, but it will be minimally better than mpeg2, but it will take up a lot more space. A video capture card that does hardware mpeg2, is probably one of your best bets.

·
Registered
1,330 Posts
Foundation is right : DV will yield good quality at the expense of disk space. You could use the Sony analog->DV transcoder (DVMC-DA2) and a cheap firewire card to do this.

Cheap, good MPEG2 apture cards are slowly comming to the states. That'd be your best bet fopr quality and space.

If you don't mind an option that is not PC based then you can always go with the JVC HD DVHS deck which will also do SD/NTSC video in MPEG2 to tape at a very high bit rate and look stellar.

·
Registered
702 Posts
One thing I forgot to mention is that there's a lot better support for editing DV/MJPEG than there is for MPEG-2. Also, if you have a fast computer, you don't necessarily need a hardware mpeg-2 encoder card. A plain old video capture card (I use an all-in-wonder radeon) and video capture software that supports mpeg-2 (example the ati multimedia center -- there are lots of others that are available for generic capture cards)

·
Registered
323 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I have AMD 1.4 MHZ with 512 DDR ram with a 7500 Radeon card. Do you think this is fast enough for mpeg-2 without jerky movement or dropped frames? Thanks!

·
Registered
31 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by flyerman
I have AMD 1.4 MHZ with 512 DDR ram with a 7500 Radeon card. Do you think this is fast enough for mpeg-2 without jerky movement or dropped frames?
1.4 MHz is probably too slow :D

However, my 1.2 GHz Athlon and AIW Radeon captures at 640x480 into MPEG-2 without dropping frames. It's mostly a question of which app you use. I don't get very good MPEG from ATI's capture software, for instance.

As has been mentioned before, the real difference between DV and MPEG-2 isn't picture quality, but ease of use. DV can be edited quickly and easily with a host of applications, while MPEG editing can be very expensive and potentially haphazard; I think most of us have encountered the problem of keeping audio and video synched after even a few rudimentary cuts.

Personally, I capture in DV (and somtimes MJPEG), edit, and encode the finished product as an MPEG. Your mileage may vary, but it's surprisingly easy (and cheap, really) to experiment. Check out these guys and this FAQ for some excellent capture guides.

·
Registered
320 Posts
Hi Flayerman, I tested wincoder on 1.2 GHz AMD and did OK, real time DV to MPEG2 over 1394 at 6.5Mb/s

Artur.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.