AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 52" RCA CRT that I was given as a gift. I am in the process of trying to exchange for a GWIII, but due to the return process and backorder (hopefully having fixes applied :) ) the new set won't arrive until mid February.

To ensure that it is eligible for the exchange, I did not remove the RCA from the box, and therefore the whole thing is much too large to fit through any exterior door of my house. I currently have it sitting in my garage, which is dry but very cold (I'm in DC).

The deliveryman told me that cold will have no affect on the TV. His only caution was to let it warm up before starting it up. I am very dubious about this and have been unable to find a definitive answer about the cold's affect. Does anyone now if I should be worried?

The reason why I care at all, is that I am having a heck of a time with the Sears return, as this was a wedding gift and I don't have the receipt or transaction number (any advice here would also be greatly appreciated). In short, I might have to keep the set.

Thanks!

·
Registered
1,979 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by IcebergSlim
The reason why I care at all, is that I am having a heck of a time with the Sears return, as this was a wedding gift and I don't have the receipt or transaction number (any advice here would also be greatly appreciated). In short, I might have to keep the set.
I know CC can look up the original sales receipts just using the manufacturer's serial number, which should be on the outside of the box somewhere. If Sears can't or won't do the same, then shame on them.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
The Sears sales rep has been outwardly helpful and we have tried to find the transaction number using just about every identifier available. We can't find a record of the transaction anywhere in their system. As the gift was from a distant relative and boyfriend (so I don't know their phone number or credit card) and the box (still sealed with a Sears sticker on it) came while on my honeymoon so I wasnt there to know exactly when and by whom it was delivered, we can't track it down.

The problem is that the Sears store manager is afraid that I'm trying to give them stolen property. I find this frustrating because I'm trying hard to give them an additional $2k for a nicer TV and warranty rather than take a refund and run. Compound that with the fact that they know where I live (when delivering the new TV and picking up the old) and it just doesn't wash. Their policy states that a receipt isn't required for returns so I am getting very annoyed. As of now we're in a kind of stalemate/holding pattern, so any additional input is welcome.

Anyway thanks for the prompt responses!

·
Registered
174 Posts
He is correct that you want to let it warm up before turning it on, maybe cover it with a blanket after you bring it so it will warm up more gradually, if you are talking about really freezing temps outside. Electronic chips don't like sudden temp changes...Frenchy

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.