AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Here's the deal...I won an Athena .5 system on Ebay about a week ago and they were supposed to arrive yesterday, they didn't (at least I thought they didn't)...I went to bed kind of early, got up this morning to go to work and couldn't open my front door because the package containing the speakers was blocking the way.

I know this is the busy season for FedEx/UPS and so it probably got delivered late...so I'm wondering if the speakers sitting in sub 20 degree weather all night is a bad thing or if the cold doesn't matter. ... (please say it doesn't matter too much)

I just want to know what I should expect.

thanks, Clay

·
Registered
724 Posts
Well there are particular speakers make just for outdoors, so I would imagine that cold weather/precipitation would have an negative effect IN THE LONG RUN. I doubt that one night would have any material impact on it. You should be okay.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
ok, good points...and its not like the box was soaked or covered in snow...it was just cold. The possibility of condensation worries me a little but I guess I'll just have to wait till tonight to see how they are.

·
Banned
8,503 Posts
Warm them up, wipe them dry, and let any remaining condensation evaporate before hooking them up. They will be fine. (Some people even say that cold temperatures are good for electronics.)

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by PULLIAMM
(Some people even say that cold temperatures are good for electronics.)
I hope those people are right :)

Excuse my ignorance but how much time do you think they would need for any condensation on the inside to evaporate? I brought them in around 5:30 this morning and I'm curious if they would be fine to hook up this evening when I get home around 5? Or should I let them sit longer?

·
Registered
545 Posts
Car stereos here in MN freeze for 6 months on end, heat up cool - down many times a day. Of course, that's expected by the MFR, and may not apply to hoidy-toidy indoor stuff.

I'd expect the Fs to go way up due to frozen surrounds - again, in car audio, it'll affect things. But after thawing, no issues.

·
Registered
724 Posts
That's a good point, it gets freezing here in the winter in Boston, and everything in the cars work fine.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I live in Buffalo...I never thought about the fact that my car speakers have been in alot colder weather than this for the last several years and they work fine....that makes me feel alot better about it.

thanks, Clay

·
Registered
4,121 Posts
Just don't unpack them right away when you get them....leave them in the box overnight, and let them warm up gradually.

The warm air of your house meeting a cold surface will cause condensation. If you don't unpack them right away, you will avoid condensation.

·
Registered
275 Posts
Most shippers do not heat their cargo so when it is driving around in the back of a semi, or in a ship or whatever it just gets the ambient temperature so it probably wasn't the first time they in sub-freezing temps. Just do like everyone said and let them warm up first.

·
Banned
20,735 Posts
many speakers (I am not familiar with athenas) use ferro fluid to cool/damp the tweeters, and recommend letting that warm to room temperature as I believe the fluid can become more viscous at very cold temperatures.

·
Registered
627 Posts
There will be no problem with your speakers even if you were to unpack them immediately and hook them up.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I unpacked them when I got home (around 6, which was about 13 hours after I initially brought them in) and they were completely dry on the outside, I let them sit for another couple hours before hooking them up, and they didn't "explode" :) They sound great (great for me), I'm thrilled.

·
Registered
545 Posts
Loading in sound equipment for gigs - again, here in MN - and the stuff has been sitting in a truck at -20 for 48 hours.

Bring it in, set it up, and go.

·
Registered
957 Posts
They are not really sensitive to temps that low.

Depending on the route they took, they could have seen even lower temps for the whole ride to your house on the unheated cargo trucks.... Many fine speakers originate from VERY cold places like Canada, Denmark, & Germany.

·
Registered
4,349 Posts
cold weather might help the speaker sound better.... why assume that the sound will be worse?!

·
Registered
591 Posts
Nah - they sit on ships coming from China anyways in the cold.

enjoy your new toys

Worth

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.