AVS Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm thinking of "ditching the dish" after many, many years and returning to cable. If I switch to cable, I'll have to choose comcast, the only provider in my area. To get the HD channels, can I simply order HD and a couple of HD DVRs with a basic cable subscription? Or do I need to step up to a "digital" package that costs substantially more?

Assuming that this is possible, what would be the downside of going with the basic cable package instead of a much higher priced digital one? Super-crappy non-HD channels?

·
Premium Member
6,261 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dutch Boy /forum/post/0

I'm thinking of "ditching the dish" after many, many years and returning to cable. If I switch to cable, I'll have to choose comcast, the only provider in my area. To get the HD channels, can I simply order HD and a couple of HD DVRs with a basic cable subscription? Or do I need to step up to a "digital" package that costs substantially more?

Assuming that this is possible, what would be the downside of going with the basic cable package instead of a much higher priced digital one? Super-crappy non-HD channels?

If all you want is the locals in HD, Comcast pass those in the clear. So if your set has a digital cable tuner you will be able to pull those in.

If you want the cable channels in HD you will need to sign up for a digital tier. I do believe with Comcast all you need is the lowest digital tier for get all the HD channels.

·
Registered
70 Posts

Quote:

I can confirm that Comcast passes through the local HD channels even without signing up for Digital Cable (which I *think* they have to do by law). I did this up until last week when I switched to fios. You won't get the added digital tier HD channels like ESPN HD, InHD, etc. This just applies to local HD channels.

If your TV is unable to pick up the local HD channels with its own tuner, Comcast will rent you a HD Box that will do this for you (for about $9 month). It's exactly the same box they use for digital cable, however it doesn't tune / decrypt the digital tier channels. I needed their box since my projector doesn't have tuners built in. I don't know if they would provide a HD-DVR this way. I would doubt it.

I hope that helps.

John

·
Registered
26 Posts
Ok I don't know the answer so I'm hoping that someone could tell me.

I have 2 friends that just got new TV's and they both live in the same area

and have Comcast cable.

Friend 1) 40" BRAVIA LCD Flat Panel HDTV KDL-40S2010 plugs the cable into

the TV and does a digital and analog scan and gets all the HighDef channels

from comcast.

Friend 2) Samsung LN-S4695D 46" LCD TV w/Built-In Tuner and 1080P plugs the

cable into the TV and does a digital and analog scan and doesn't get any of the

HighDef channels.

Same cable company, same area, friend one subscribes to digital cable and

friend 2 does not.

I guess question 3 would be I recently got a Panasonic 42" Plasma HDTV (TH-42PX60U) did the same thing and I didn't get any channels. Let me

say that I was with adelphia cable in Maryland and they just switched to

comcast so I'm not sure of everything with mine but I thought that it would

pick up some of the channels.

Any thoughts?

Thanks

Chris

·
Registered
2,134 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by bulleri /forum/post/0

Ok I don't know the answer so I'm hoping that someone could tell me.

I have 2 friends that just got new TV's and they both live in the same area

and have Comcast cable.

Friend 1) 40" BRAVIA LCD Flat Panel HDTV KDL-40S2010 plugs the cable into

the TV and does a digital and analog scan and gets all the HighDef channels

from comcast.

Friend 2) Samsung LN-S4695D 46" LCD TV w/Built-In Tuner and 1080P plugs the

cable into the TV and does a digital and analog scan and doesn't get any of the

HighDef channels.

Same cable company, same area, friend one subscribes to digital cable and

friend 2 does not.

I guess question 3 would be I recently got a Panasonic 42" Plasma HDTV (TH-42PX60U) did the same thing and I didn't get any channels. Let me

say that I was with adelphia cable in Maryland and they just switched to

comcast so I'm not sure of everything with mine but I thought that it would

pick up some of the channels.

Any thoughts?

Thanks

Chris

According to the spec sheet the Samsung does NOT have a QAM tuner, which is required for digital cable.

http://www.samsung.com/Products/TV/L...4695_final.pdf

The Panny does have a QAM tuner, but the recent switch from Adelphia may have something to do with yours not working. Or you may have to tell the Tuner when scanning that you are connected to cable.

·
Registered
26 Posts
That is what I was going to guess but I didn't see QAM in my Panny manual

or on the Sony specs that I was looking at.

Ok I said the first bunch before looking at some more websites. The sony website

and the panny website do not mention QAM but if I just type the model and QAM

I get a bunch of sites that say that each of the models have QAM tuners.

Thanks a bunch

Chris

·
Registered
9,578 Posts

Quote:

What the other people said.

One other thing, in many areas, if you want an HD PVR, Comcast forces you to get the digital package. I cannot speak for all areas because they sometimes have their own policies.

·
Registered
3,646 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by sfhub /forum/post/0

What the other people said.

One other thing, in many areas, if you want an HD PVR, Comcast forces you to get the digital package. I cannot speak for all areas because they sometimes have their own policies.

There are folks in Boston that have the HD-DVR and JUST Limited Basic (Local channels)

·
Registered
77 Posts
SFHub-

My cousin was telling me that he couldn't get HD local channels on his clear-QAM tuner for his computer using Comcast in San Francisco. I take by your comment that this is true?

I thought that he might just be having difficulty setting up the software (eyeTV can be funky), but given your statement, I presume that Comcast doesn't send out locals in the clear?

Thanks in advance.

Cheers,

Randy Stewart

·
Registered
1,909 Posts
You must have a QAM tuner and Comcast has the option of passing the locals (HD) in the clear if they do you will receive those channels, this will vary from cable system to cable system but it seems most of the cable-co's do pass in the clear.

There has been discussion about a law that requires cable-co's to pass the locals in the clear however it has not been proven that this law exist!!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.