AVS Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
157 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,

I'm currently running a MythTV box w/ two HDHomeRuns, currently recording only OTA. I've also got DirecTV w/ HR10-250, to record all my HD content from premium channels.

The question is, if I switch to Comcast, which channels will I be able to record? I've heard various answers from different people. It seems to vary from one local office to another.

One friend told me that he can record just about everything, except for-pay channels, such as HBO and Showtime. Someone else told me that they can only record the locals, and a small handful of other channels.

So, is there a resource where I can get a definitive answer, for my area? (Which is Belleville, MI, btw.)

Thanks,

-Mark

·
Registered
825 Posts
the answer is no, they don't, and not only that but what channels are encrypted or not varies wildly between cities on the same service. some cities screw up and encrypt even the locals, and others screw up and unencrypt them all.

it's simply a matter of luck.

it's the same with cox here in arkansas. where i live i only get the locals, 20 miles up the interstate people get everything on the HD tier from what i've heard.

·
Registered
1,591 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by paraclete /forum/post/0

Any digital channel other than local HD Comcast provides is encrypted.

Depends on where you live. I have more than my local HD unencrypted via QAM, as do many others. on the other hand, some places have even their local HDs encrypted via QAM.

You'll have to find a local forum for you area and ask about what QAM stations are available, or go to a neighbor with a QAM tuner.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts