AVS Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Here's the story. Due to WAF I was restricted to what kind of speakers I could employ for a HT set-up. They had to be small and they had to be white. Given that restriction I ended up with Orb Mod 2s for my mains and surrounds and a mod 4 for the center. For the low end I have dual SVS SB12+ in the FR and RL positions.

An upcoming room rearrangement may give me the opportunity to add a larger more potent sub. My question is, would wiring the SB12s to the Orbs using the speaker inputs instead of the sub input effectively lower the frequency response of my mains so that I could use a lower xover for the new sub? I'd designate the mains as small and feed them everything above 50 and use the subs internal filter to keep the Orbs from seeing anything under 120. I would then use the new sub to handle everything below 50. Right now my xover is at 120 but I have a hard time believing the Orbs haven't started rolling off long before that.

Is this more trouble than it's worth or should I just let the subs take everything up to 150. Thanks.

·
Registered
5,454 Posts
it would be a "pricey" option, but it will work. Your SB12's are highly regarded powerful subwoofers and I'm not really sure you are going to get a huge difference in sound quallity adding an even bigger subwoofer to handle 50 Hz and lower LFE frequencies....unless you really just want to vibrate all the furniture and nick-nacks within the room into moving on their own accord ???

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
The SB12s do a respectable job but I think I'm missing out on that visceral sub 20hz material. But you're right, I'm not sure what I'm buying as far as SQ. Maybe more mid-bass punch from the L&R channels? As it is now with the two subs I don't notice any localization but if I move the xover up it may become more apparent. I guess I should just try it and see.

My room is around 2400 cubic ft but I have a large opening to the rest of the house which is probably another 3000 cubic ft in the immediately adjoining room(s).

·
Registered
2,318 Posts
If you are really in search of the gut-wrenching feel, then please go over to the DIY subs forum. Many there will help you build a real LFE sub. For what you want, at low distortion, you will be looking at 200L boxes. Building subs is easy. Finding a place to put them is not.

·
Registered
1,809 Posts
You should check with SVS about how the high frequency speaker out is filtered on the SB12. As I understand it, the high pass filter is fixed (but depends on the impedance of the connected satellites.) I use an sb12+ with a pair of b&w 600 for my computer speakers - the highpass crossover is about 80hz.

Unless things have changed, you can adjust the low pass filter on the sb12, but not the high pass filter. Again check with SVS. Then check with Orb to see what they think.

I think you are right the SB12 is a nice sub, but if you really want to get high output below about 20hz you need a bigger sub. (works great for music though

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
In addition to the fixed and unknown xover from the high level outs, which could introduce a gap between the sub and satellite, there could be some phasing issues with the subwoofer using the LFE output. Best just to use the AVR to set the LFE out to to 150 and "integrate" the multiple subs in the room so that they aren't localizable.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts