AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
2,670 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My receiver (Yamaha R-V902) doesn't have DD/DTS but has 6-ch input and output with separate level controls for LF, C, RF, Rear, and SW. DD5.1 DVDs sound very good as far as the 5.1 separation goes, since I have the decoder in the player. Unfortunately, I'm stuck without DD on my HDTV viewing.

On the AVS Speakers forum it was suggested that I might want to keep my present receiver and add in a separate processor, but the options suggested look like they might run well over $500. For simplicity, I'd prefer buying a new AV receiver such as a Denon 1803 or Yamaha RX-V630 for under $450.

I've seen some information on the Klipsch Promedia DD-5.1 set-top decoder, but it looks like it has one optical and one coax digital input. I just got the Panasonic CP72K and it only has optical digital out, and my Hughes E85 only has optical digital out as well.

I've seen a few reviews on the Technics SH-AC500D, which seems to have the capabilities I need, but I recall reading of inconveniences some people have had with it. If it doesn't give me as good a solution as a new $450 AV Receiver, I guess I'd be reluctant to add it in.

I saw something regarding the Denon AVD-2000, which is apparently a DD-only processor. I've never heard DTS, so I'm not sure how bummed I'd be if I didn't have DTS.

Can some of you provide further suggestions/advice or give a good account of one of the processors I've mentioned?

Thanks!

Tim

·
Registered
5,307 Posts
Since you can get a whole new receiver of comparable quality to your present one with DD, DTS, DPLII, and even the newer 6.1 formats like DD-EX and DTS-ES for the same price as a decoder/ processor with fewer decoding options I think the 1803 or RXV-630 would be the way to go.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.