AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
696 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am about to buy a new motherboard, and the new DDR400 stuff doesn't seem to cost much more than the old DDR266 stuff. However there is a huge difference in the cost of the processors which support 533MHz FSB vs 800MHz FSB. As such I am tempted to go with DDR400 mobo + memory and a 533MHz CPU. Obviously I won't get any benefit from the fast mobo + CPU, since everything will be running at 533MHz, but it will mean I could plug in an 800MHz FSB CPU in the future without having to replace my mobo or RAM, and it will also mean that my mobo + RAM are overspec'd, which may increase reliabilty.

I have only one question: will it work? I know the 800MHz mobos support 533Mhz operation, but is it OK to run DDR400 memory at 266MHz?

·
Registered
175 Posts
Should be fine, and a wise move for a future upgrade...|-]

Plus you could easily overclock if you wanted to without worrying about the RAM at least.

S

·
Registered
4 Posts
Really this is a question of the motherboard. The CPU really doesn't care too much what speed the RAM is running it, it is the type of memory the mobo accepts that will decide this for you. I am running a stick of the DDR400 memory and can totally see the improvement in speed over DDR266 stuff...couple that with an nforce2 chipset if you are running AMD chips and you will have a lean mean setup.

·
Registered
175 Posts
Any board that runs 'up to' DDR 400 will run DDR266. But if you run DDR400 at DDR266 speeds, there will be no inherent performance benefits, you will basically be running your RAM well below it's specs. Although, you would be able to run the DDR400 at max timings and CAS2 whereas you might not with the DDR266 (depending on how good the DDR266 was).

S

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.