AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

Does Denon 2910 suffer from black crush?

1K views 12 replies 9 participants last post by  Joe Murphy Jr 
Quote:
So, I would say it is passing blacker than black, or blacker than 7.5 IRE
I am cringing. Please stop.

BTB has nothing to do with "values encoded below 7.5 IRE."

You cannot encode a disc with absolute IRE values. BTB material refers to digital data below 16 (reference black). This data can be maintained in the video chain, or it can be clipped. And either of these can occur whether or not you are using a 0IRE output with analog outs, or a 7.5 setting with analog outs. Whether or not it clips depends on the specific source device's design.

It is undesireable to use the expanded mode if possible when using a digital output. This clips data below 16 (Blacker than black) and clips whites above 235. It also will invariably introduce contouring due to this expansion to PC-RGB levels.

You will have to explore what the player is doing when using a digital output and changing the IRE setup option, this hopefully would only affect the analog output, but it's possible that the player is adjusting the digital levels to achieve the proper IRE output instead of doing it only on the analog output.

Quote:
However, I might argue leaving Black Expansion set to EXPANDED, and raising your brightness controls, because EXPANDED provides a greater dynamic range of 0-256 grayscale.
As noted, expanding to PC-RGB is undesireable. It irretrevably destroys BTB and WTW data, and introduces contouring artifacts form this expansion. It does not necessarily lead to improved contrast ratios. Your blacks should be calibrated identically in either setting, however clipping peak whites will allow you the illusion of greater contrast. If you maintain Studio RGB, and thus maintain peak whites, then you have the subjective choice of whether or not to calibrate your display to maintain the peak whites, and how much, etc.

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.