AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
824 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
In the dvhsmovieguide.com forum Gary Reber of WSR said that a new Toshiba STB had been announced on 5/23. It has analog and DVI/HDCP. Toshiba rep told him that DirecTV would not allow IEEE 1394 output when DirecTV tuner is present.

·
Registered
LG 55" C9 OLED, Yamaha RX-A660, Monoprice 5.1.2 Speakers, WMC HTPC, TiVo Bolt, X1
45,616 Posts
DirecTV has made DVI mandatory, but I haven't heard IEEE1394 being prohibited. You pose a good question, Alan.

·
Registered
2,846 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by Ken H
DirecTV has made DVI mandatory, but I haven't heard IEEE1394 being prohibited. You pose a good question, Alan.
Not one for quoting inside sources, but the hearsay around here is that DIRECTV does not think of 1394 as a suitable interface. That said, I don't know how much freedom the Sony and Panasonic type people have to add 1394 by themselves...

I also believe that they would have to convert the bitstream to standard MPEG 2 before spitting it out a 1394 interface, otherwise it would not be compatible with D-VHS units. So it is probably 'too much work'.

Cheers!

DAve.

·
Registered
2,364 Posts
It should be interesting to see what Mitsubishi will present as its next DirecTvHD product with their strong commitment to 1394.

·
Registered
LG 55" C9 OLED, Yamaha RX-A660, Monoprice 5.1.2 Speakers, WMC HTPC, TiVo Bolt, X1
45,616 Posts
I'm betting someone comes up with a DirecTV HDTV box with IEEE1394.

·
Registered
1,445 Posts
Am I correct in assuming the all 1394 ports also have 5C? If so, why is everyone (including me) clamoring for these ports with a CP scheme we don't want? There are many threads denouncing DVI/HDCP but I haven't seen any about 1394/5C, lately.

What's the deal? I'm confused.

·
Registered
3,220 Posts
Samsung has announced their new STBs, coming out maybe as early as June. They have a OTA only STB with 1394 and a OTA/DirecTV STB without 1394. You make the connection. My assumption is that DirecTV would not allow 1394.

I am a Dish 6000 user. If they do not come out with a 1394 STB I will get the OTA only with 1394 and buy one of the HD VCRs. I probably will discover that I am not using satellite much and cancel it.

Rick R

·
Registered
15 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by Barry928
It should be interesting to see what Mitsubishi will present as its next DirecTvHD product with their strong commitment to 1394.
I am told by a DirecTV employee that a mfg must ask before incorporating a 1394 port on a STB. He said none have asked. (Don't know what they would say if asked.)

I was hoping Mits would come out with their next generation STB that included 1394. The last Mits STB (now out of production) was built by Hughes. Several months ago a Mits rep told me future STBs would be built by Mits. Later I talked to Mits about their STB plans (hoping there was a STB with 1394 on its way) but was told they have no plans at this time. Mits did not preview a new STB at the last Consumer Electronics show. So I concluded a Mits 1394 STB is more than a year away, if then. I have my eye on the new Zenith that is coming out sometime later in the year.

·
Premium Member
11,868 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by stephenC
Am I correct in assuming the all 1394 ports also have 5C? If so, why is everyone (including me) clamoring for these ports with a CP scheme we don't want? There are many threads denouncing DVI/HDCP but I haven't seen any about 1394/5C, lately.

What's the deal? I'm confused.
1394 is the lesser of two evils. At least with 1394 there is the possibility to record.

·
Registered
35 Posts
The JVC TU9000, supposedly will have, both 1394 and DVI. The DVI to go to the display for better uncompressed digital image and the 1394 to send a compressed image for recording ie.HMDH30000. The Echostar 921, supposedly will not have 1394.

·
Registered
1,238 Posts
Sorry guys, but other than posters on this forum no one knows what IEEE1394 is or cares. We do not constitute a market for such products. You might look for aftermarket hacks like the DTC-100 with IEEE1394 but I would not expect any mainstream boxes out there.

Samsung is perhaps in a different situation trying very hard to break into markets with innovative products which are not money makers. On the other hand I think they have a " habit" of announcing products just to see what the reaction is. An announcement from Samsung does not constitute actually releasing a product for sale.

On the other hand, if Samsung does all the things they say they are going to do I may be buying some Samsung stuff.....

·
Premium Member
12,972 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by Marty VA
The JVC TU9000, supposedly will have, both 1394 and DVI. The DVI to go to the display for better uncompressed digital image and the 1394 to send a compressed image for recording ie.HMDH30000. The Echostar 921, supposedly will not have 1394.
Mistake? I do believe that the 921 has been well advertised as having 1394 specifically for DVHS recording, not for HDTV monitor such as the Mits system and Sony. The 921 has been advertised to have both DVI and RGB for monitor connections.

·
Registered
192 Posts
My Mitsubishi SR-D1 (non-hd receiver) has a firewire plug on the back labelled "D-VHS." I tried connecting this up to my PC one night with the hopes that Windows XP would be able to do a "find new hardware" on the thing; even without drivers I thought it would be nice if it at least recognized that the box was present and then prompt for a disk. (hahhaha). No such luck. Does anybody know if this port actually works, or was this vaporware promise from Mitsubishi when I bought the receiver. (about six months before I went HD).

·
Registered
13,771 Posts
The JVC and DISH PVR's will have Firewire. However, DISH may very well delay releasing their PVR for a very long time. JVC wans their model out this September. I am buying as soon as it is released.

Unless it lacks the firewire, of course.

·
Registered
45,616 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by IUnknown
Sorry guys, but other than posters on this forum no one knows what IEEE1394 is or cares. We do not constitute a market for such products.
No, we don't. But when the typical consumer finds out they can't record HDTV, it will be a different story. And that's the reason IEEE1394 is important.

·
Registered
9,884 Posts
I didn't think DirectTV was using a fully standard MPEG2 stream, at least for SDTV resolutions. But if that was true then it might not be able to support 1394/5C because that requires MPEG2 compressed data.

Or is DirectTV using MPEG2 for HDTV now?

- Tom

·
Registered
3,858 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by IUnknown
Sorry guys, but other than posters on this forum no one knows what IEEE1394 is or cares. We do not constitute a market for such products. You might look for aftermarket hacks like the DTC-100 with IEEE1394 but I would not expect any mainstream boxes out there.
Ummmm . . . I think anyone with a Mac, or a Mini-DV camcorder is very familliar with IEEE1394, and thanx to creative labs normal pc people are becoming aquianted with it as well. Its not some new emerging technology. Its been around just as long as USB has, and many people are aware of its benefits, not just people into HDTV.

·
Registered
306 Posts
DirecTV uses MPEG-2 for all programming--standard and HDTV. The data is sent that way to use digital compression. Some channels are compressed more than others. Sports and movie channels tend to get more bandwidth while news programs get less.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.