AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
3,223 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
When used with the digital modulator, does the Dish 5000 output DD 5.1 on HDTV an SD?

Murray Kerdman

·
Banned
4,999 Posts
I'm not sure if you're referring to the HDTV modulator or the Dolby Digital adapter. You can only use one at a time. The HDTV modulator outputs the HD channels and any SD channels with DD sound (Starz East, the PPV channels with DD sound, and the non HD main Showtime East & West channels which are in DD sound).

With the DD adapter, you won't see the HD channels.

Jerry

·
Registered
3,223 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Jerry

So if HD, or possibly SD w/DD5.1, is my only intrest or concern then the HDTV modulator is alll I need. Correct?

Are the Dolby Digital adapters available? What are they valued at? New? Used?

Murray Kerdman

·
Banned
4,999 Posts
Murray, that's correct. But keep in mind that with the HDTV modulator, the signal (video and audio) is output as and 8VSB signal via a standard 75 ohn F connector. You need a DTV STB, tuned to channel 3 or 4 to decode the DTV signal. It's the STB that will output the DD from it's optical or coaxial connector to your amplifier. There is no optical connector on the HDTV modulator.

If all you want in DD direct to your amplifier from the 5000, then the DD adapter is what you'd want. But then you wouldn't get the HD channels.

Don't know who carries the DD adapters. You might try Dish Depot ( www.dishdepot.com ) or Dish.

Jerry

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.