AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
1,051 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I switched from cable to Dish about 3 years ago. Love it. But they don't seem to want to do anything to retain their customers. A few months after I signed up they came out with their DVR and were giving it away free to new subscribers. I called about getting one and they were not willing to give me one or even discount one. Now I see what they are offering new customers. And I also see what Direct TV is offering. I can get 4 rooms on Direct for the same amount I pay for 2 on Dish now. Also all the deals on equipment and TiVo from Direct. I called Dish and spoke to a CS about my displeasure with their lack of interest in retaining customers and upgrading and they didn't seem to really care. I also told them I was going to be cancelling very soon and when he asked why, I told him to switch to Direct. Didn't seem to care about that either. Is that they way they play the game?? They just let customers go without hesitation??

·
Registered
380 Posts
They take a loss for signing up new customers. It's kind of like AOL giving away 5000 hours for free. If they can sign up two new customers, and only lose 1 existing customer (you), then they are growing their business.

·
Registered
1,051 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Quote:
Originally posted by koneman
maybe cancel and re-signup or switch to DirecTV?
I plan to cancel and switch to Direct. From what I hear Direct is just as bad with customer retention. But at least I will be getting more now and paying about the same. All I want is a DVR and add two receivers. With Dish I have to purchase the new receivers, a new dish and pay for the installation.

·
Registered
732 Posts
If you got the system about 3 years ago, you would have either gotten a large discount on the equipment & installation for free, or all of it for free. You already have received several hundred $ worth of equipment and installation, and also some free programming for 3 months. Now you expect them to give you several hundred $ worth of equipment again?

·
Registered
1,051 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Quote:
Originally posted by Greg C
If you got the system about 3 years ago, you would have either gotten a large discount on the equipment & installation for free, or all of it for free. You already have received several hundred $ worth of equipment and installation, and also some free programming for 3 months. Now you expect them to give you several hundred $ worth of equipment again?

No I'm expecting them to at least offer an owner loyality discount or some kind of incentive to stay with them. Don't feed me that crap about giving away hundreds of dollars worth of equipment. I'm not looking for a hand-out. Wireless phone companies do it all the time and keep doing it with curerent customers to retain them as customers. They take a loss on equipment to get contracts signed. If there is nothing to make me stay with Dish then why should I?? Their stellar service??? Their low low prices?? Nope. Sorry that doesn't cut it. There is nothing they have that I can't get elsewhere for cheaper. And yeah I may be only one person, but do you really think I am the only one?? Companies like this don't worry about customer retention until they see theire profits start to drop. If they did something about it in advance you wouldn't have people like me ready to drop them like a bad habit. Like I said I am far from the only one.

·
Registered
5,019 Posts
What exactly are you looking for ? The DVR510 has very recently (maybe even CURRENTLY ? ) been available at a VERY good price for CURRENT SUBS who meet other qualifications (time of service with Dish, which it sounds like you qualify for).

And yes - it sounds to me like you're asking for a handout... Dish is NOT obilatigated to keep giving you new equipment whenever they come out with new - only in cases where you are subscribing to something and they change the equipment requirements.

·
Registered
275 Posts
Here's what I get out of this rant :

Your beef with dish

You sign a contract, they give you free equipment. 3 months later, you call in wanting a different free box, which probably costs quite a bit more than your current box.

Guess what - you are still under contract. Saying "OK" to you would cause them to eat a few hundred dollars (considering they would have a used box instead of a new one). What possible reason is out there that would make you think they would give you another box?

If I sign up for AOL, I would get 5000 hours free for a month. Think they would let me cancel at the end of the month, and sign up again? (Lord knows, I have enough of their CD's to do this indefinatly).

Your beef with dish/directtv pricing differences :

It's called competition. If you are out of your contract, and the other is cheaper... just get the other one - don't complain because an employee paid $10.00 an hour is unauthorized/unable to give you (and no one else) a lower rate.

Your beef with the CSR.
Quote:
I called Dish and spoke to a CS about my displeasure with their lack of interest in retaining customers and upgrading and they didn't seem to really care
You sound like the type of guy who called up, and started to complain unrationally - probably have done the same thing in a store if they refused to price match a $300 item to $30. The CSR, making $10.00 an hour, just wanted to get you off of the phone - it's impossible to deal with someone acting like that.

*MrBeetle dons his flame suit*

·
Registered
1,051 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
First off none of you know anything about me. I did not call up and complain. I don't complain about things like that. I called up to simply inquire about upgrading and adding two more receivers and they are talking about some outlandish amounts to do so. I said simply don't you think you should do for customers to retain them. All I got is an "I dunno". I said that's fine I'll be cancelling soon and switching to Direct. Yeah that's real irrational. :rolleyes:

Credit card companies do to retain customers. Wireless companies do to retain customers. Sometimes those two bend over backwards to keep your business. Why are all of you acting like I'm being a d**k for expecting the same from Dish?? Being that I am out of contract what difference would it make for them to give me two more receivers to sign another contract. How is that any different than being a new customer. Would work the same if I cancelled before the end of the contract as it would for any new customer.

Oh and MrBeetle: You don't know anything about me to make that sort of judgement. If I'm not satisfied with the service in a store I simply walk out and go elsewhere. I am far from the type of person to raise a fuss or get my blood pressure up over something so trivial.

·
Registered
8 Posts
I agree with the OP. I called several times over the past few months wanting to upgrade my DP 501 to a two tuner PVR. I was told each time that they were only available to new customers. The last time I told them I was going to Direct with the $99 DirectTivo if they weren't able to provide me with a two tuner PVR (thinking that might get me to another level of customer service). They didn't care. And for the record, I am out of contract and I always treat customer service people with a high degree of respect knowing that you get more flies with honey...

Direct installed a two tuner Tivo yesterday, and I'm thrilled with the service so far.

·
Registered
215 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by Monstermile
I plan to cancel and switch to Direct. From what I hear Direct is just as bad with customer retention. But at least I will be getting more now and paying about the same. All I want is a DVR and add two receivers. With Dish I have to purchase the new receivers, a new dish and pay for the installation.
just you know if you tell directv that you are going to cable or dish they give you every thing under the sun to stay.

·
Premium Member
76 Posts
Wow.... it amazes me the type of reposes an innocent comment or question gets from others. Monstermile makes a comment about wanting a DVR from his present sat provider at a good price and others assume that he is ranting and a wanting something for nothing. People jump up to defend the company and heckle the guy with the question or comment. I did not read into a beef or rant on his part. He is correct, we don't know anything about him. I follow the XM forum as well, any adverse comment against XM can be met with insults and other negative comment about the persons intent or parents. NOT that any one here said such things about Monstermile. Just an example...honest....

We all want good service and a good price. (and DVR's are cool...I have 3)

Anyway..... carry on. Good luck Monstermile.

·
Registered
1,051 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Thanks for the defense ChuckMoore and reedyj.

Funny thing happened though. I was on the phone with Dish about my bill earlier in the week and on a whim I inquired again about upgrades. Apparently they realize that customers are becoming a little dissatisfied with the lack of upgrade options. I got a price on upgrading to 2 more receivers and a DVR and it will cost $123.95 for everything. That includes a new LNB, two additional receivers, the DVR-510 as a replacement for the main receiver, and installation. All this to sign another year contract. I am leaning towards this because I am used to Dish and really don't want to get used to a different system and the 510 is a 100hr recorder. I was really interested in the 522 dual tuner, but it is not ready for release yet.

·
Registered
8 Posts
I understand not wanting to get used to a new service, my wife wasnt' happy to have to memorize a new channel number to get to the Food Network. If only Dish had offered me a two tuner PVR I could have avoided that little problem ;) However, I am loving two tuners and the Tivo functions are really useful compared with my previous 501.

Sounds like Dish is getting the picture, good luck with whatever you choose!

·
Banned
1,145 Posts
Quote:
But they don't seem to want to do anything to retain their customers.
Exactly!! They kept raising prices, lowering quality to look like a quick time video, and screwed up on "3" call outs to install my government required 61.5 Degree dish for extended Chicago locals.

I seriously thought, why stay with a company of incompetents that raise prices and lower quality and yet can't even comply with a government mandated dish antenna install. Especially when DirecTV was offering better receivers for FREE and their same programming was over $10 less a month. The solution was simple and now I'm a DirecTV customer and God bless the government for not letting the merge happen.:D

After seeing how much better PQ is with Direct, I should had done the switch a year previously. Dish use to have good prices and good quality, but they threw all that out the window and seem to mirror some of the cable companies with overly compressed digital channels and very high prices to go with it.

I honestly hope that Dish does a turn around, perhaps they should be bought out and replaced with new management? If that's what it takes to get back to their roots then it's a good avenue for all.

Hope Dish gets back to it's roots.

BTW, DirecTV is offering "CURRENT" customers DirecTV TIVOs for $99. I took them up on their offer. I bought 2 DirecTivos.;) Those are the 35 hour versions.

·
Banned
1,145 Posts
Quote:
The DVR510 has very recently (maybe even CURRENTLY ? ) been available at a VERY good price for CURRENT SUBS who meet other qualifications (time of service with Dish, which it sounds like you qualify for).
Didn't know that Dish was selling Pioneer DVD Recorders, the Pioneer DVR-510H.:)

Have a good one.

·
Banned
1,145 Posts
Quote:
just you know if you tell directv that you are going to cable or dish they give you every thing under the sun to stay.
Yep, actually they gave me my 2 DirecTivos after having some problems. Dish didn't give a rat's a** that I was changing services after their last government mandated dish antenna installation screw up.

They tried to keep me as customer by saying something like 'you'll be charged $35 to come back.' I said fine, as I would never be giving them my business again. If they go out of business, they put themselves out of business. No one else to blame but their business ethics.

Wish I could be singing praises for them but I've never been screwed over so badly by another company in so many ways. In fact, at the time (don't know about now), they were on BBB 10 worst companies list. That said it all to me.

Hope everyone else keeps having good luck.

·
Registered
67 Posts
I was a Dish customer for over 3 yrs. I called them to ask about a new receiver since the model 401 that I had wouldn't receive some channels that I was paying for. I was told that I could buy it for full price, no other choice. When I made the comment that DTV would give me new receivers, and my monthly bill would be lower, I was told that they still couldn't do anything for me.

I signed up for DTV the same day and haven't regretted it at all. When I called Dish to cancel, *then* I was offered a new receiver for free, but too little, too late. Retaining subscribers is definitely not a priority with Dish.

·
Registered
13,771 Posts
It's the same with DirecTV. It all depends on who you talk to. Most CSR's are paid diddly (and rightly so) and do not care. You pretty much have to #1. research here at AVS before calling and #2. Call until you get someone reasonable.

·
Registered
3,449 Posts
I canceled Dish last week Sunday after being a subscriber since December of 1998. We got DirecTV installed on Saturday. I had it with Dish's digital video recorders and the constant problems and went with two DirecTiVos. Basically the CSR said when you decide to come back there will be a $25 reconnect fee. He didn't care, didn't offer anything to try to retain us or anything. There loss I suppose.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.