AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
270 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I hate how my 32" CRT also has that static electricity on the tube that attracts massive amounts of dust.
Does DLP do this?

I hate how hot my 32" CRT TV gets.
Does DLP get noticibly hot?

I forget the exactly watts but I believe my CRT pulls some serious juice.

Does DLP require a lot of power? Is it significantly more energy efficient over CRT?

·
2,436 Posts
Hi,

1) The screen in a DLP or any RPTV does not become electro-statically charged so you can touch it without getting zapped and it does not attract dust like a tube.

2) The screen or case of most RPTVs including DLP does not get hot. There is a good deal of heat being blown out of the back of the set from the cooling fans. Its not completely out of the question that a DLP may warm a room depending on room size and ventilation.

3) Most DLPs require about 250 watts to operate. I don't know what your 32" calls for.

Hope this helps.

·
Coyote Waits
27,303 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by Jamers
I hate how my 32" CRT also has that static electricity on the tube that attracts massive amounts of dust.

Does DLP do this?

No.

No.

Does DLP require a lot of power? Is it significantly more energy efficient over CRT?

Probably not. There is a 100-120W light bulb, a few circuit boards, a spinning color wheel and a few fans. I would say it needs about the same power as a PC without the monitor.

·
Registered
1,784 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by Jamers

Does DLP do this?
No, there is no charge on the screen, it's light projected towards the screen that creates the image unlike direct view CRTs which uses energy to excite the phosphurs and those charge the glass (this is only on Direct View CRTs nor RPTV CRTs)

There are a couple things that get hot, the bulb and possible some compentents on the boards, the encloser has a lot of dead space on the DLPs though and they use fans to cool things off (mainly the bulb)

I forget the exactly watts but I believe my CRT pulls some serious juice.

A 32" Direct View CRT uses about 160-200 Watts (depends on units) while a 56" DLP/LCD/LCoS RPTVs uses about 200Watt and a 50" CRT RPTV consumes upwards of 300Watts (Sony 51" 295Watts) {Numbers based off of looking at a number of specs while writing this response}

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.