AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi there,


might sound stupid but here is the question


I have an external DVD player which can play DVD Audio.

I have a receiver which has a built in DVD drive - which can play DTS but once the audio signal is coming from externally it can not do any DTS only Dolby 5.1


Now if I play a DVD Audio disk I can't hear anything - no sound whatsoever.


So does DVD Audio require DTS?


thanks


jens
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,270 Posts
Are you using your digital connection for the DVD? (Optical or digital coax) I think DVD-A requires an analog connection.


Gus
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Gus,


I am using a digital connection (optical) - that might be the reason...


But the receiver does noy have 6 analog inputs (the DVD player though has 6 analog outputs)


How should I wire that then?


jens
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,700 Posts
First off, welcome to the forums.


I think you may have a couple of different DVD "terms" confused.


Dolby Digital and DTS are different surround sound formats used on DVDs.


DVD-Audio is a term used for high resolution music discs.


Your receiver with the player built in should be able to handle both Dolby Digital and if very new DTS. Not all discs have DTS, but all will have DD.


I doubt your receiver can play DVD-Audio with the internal player. If your external player can, to benefit from the high resolution sound from the disc, you will need to use the 5.1 analog input/output. This is 6 analog cables that will carry the left front, center, right front and left and right surrounds and subwoofer.


Some DVD-Audio discs have an option to send a "downmixed" version of the high-rez content over a single stereo pair and/or digital connection. I would imagine there could be some DVD-Audio discs with a DTS section, but I do not own any.


Hope this helps...........
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Dirk,


thanks. I think you described my problem pretty accurately. The receiver can do DD and DTS - that I know. The external DVD player can do DVD -Audio and SA CD. The DVD player has 6 analog outputs but the receiver does not have the equivalent inputs. The receiver has several digital inputs (optical as well as coax) - but that doesn't really help then - does it? So no DVD Audio without 6 analog inputs (beside the possibility of converting down). Right?


thanks again


jens
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,222 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by jens
Dirk,


thanks. I think you described my problem pretty accurately. The receiver can do DD and DTS - that I know. The external DVD player can do DVD -Audio and SA CD. The DVD player has 6 analog outputs but the receiver does not have the equivalent inputs. The receiver has several digital inputs (optical as well as coax) - but that doesn't really help then - does it? So no DVD Audio without 6 analog inputs (beside the possibility of converting down). Right?


thanks again


jens
That's pretty much sums up your case. You can't listen to the MLP tracks (DVD-A). I guess you'll have to wait until you get a new receiver with 6-channel input to get the most of your DVD-As.



fuad
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
7,482 Posts
Many DVD-A discs have a 2-channel mix, you should be able to play those fine.


Also, some DVD-A discs now have a DTS (5 channel) and Dolby Digital (5 channel) section on them. Check the menus.


To really be ready for any DVD-A disc, you do need the 6 analog inputs though
 

·
Banned
Joined
·
45 Posts
DVD-A what a waste to put any DTS on the DVD is over in 10 or songs, DVD "Bee- Gees: One Night Only" has one song after the other, for all the chapters they have on the disc, I don't know if it has DTS I am too lazy to go and read the back of the disc info, maybe someone else can chime in for how many songs or DTS. :lazy:
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
8,441 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by canue
DVD-A what a waste to put any DTS on the DVD is over in 10 or songs, DVD "Bee- Gees: One Night Only" has one song after the other, for all the chapters they have on the disc, I don't know if it has DTS I am too lazy to go and read the back of the disc info, maybe someone else can chime in for how many songs or DTS. :lazy:
What are you saying and is the Bee Gees-One Night Only avalable on DVD-A?:confused:
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,679 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by JohnR_IN_LA
To really be ready for any DVD-A disc, you do need the 6 analog inputs though
Or have a DVD player and receiver with HDMI. Those are just starting to come out these days.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
8,441 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by Frode
Or have a DVD player and receiver with HDMI. Those are just starting to come out these days.
DSD will not pass through 2.0 HDMI. So use FireWire and you will be all set.;)
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,223 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by William
Quote:
Originally posted by canue
DVD-A what a waste to put any DTS on the DVD is over in 10 or songs, DVD "Bee- Gees: One Night Only" has one song after the other, for all the chapters they have on the disc, I don't know if it has DTS I am too lazy to go and read the back of the disc info, maybe someone else can chime in for how many songs or DTS. :lazy:
What are you saying and is the Bee Gees-One Night Only avalable on DVD-A?
Sorry, got into this thread a little late. Yes, what are you saying canue? It is unintelligible, and I'm particularly interested in this title.
 
1 - 13 of 13 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top