AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
1,236 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've seen a couple of posts lately that suggest that the DVI card may override the component input(s) on the PWD6UY.

Please tell me that this is not true.

Scott

·
Registered
299 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by ssteel01
I've seen a couple of posts lately that suggest that the DVI card may override the component input(s) on the PWD6UY.

Please tell me that this is not true.

Scott
I don't know if this helps, but I PIP all the time with my cable box going into the normal Component in, and my DVI connected HTPC.

I don't have anything connected to the VGA, and don't yet have an VGA to Component cable. Is this what you mean?

·
Registered
1,236 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Quote:
Originally posted by jeepman
I don't know if this helps, but I PIP all the time with my cable box going into the normal Component in, and my DVI connected HTPC.

I don't have anything connected to the VGA, and don't yet have an VGA to Component cable. Is this what you mean?
So, I thought that people might have been suggesting that the addition of the DVI card disables one of the component inputs (i.e., either the 15pin RGB/component [Input1?] or BNC component input [Input3?]) similar to the way that the S-video disables the composite input.

But, from what you're saying, it sounds like this is not the case, at least for the BNC component input. I just hope that the 15pin is still active, otherwise my connectivity scheme is out the window...

Thanks.

Scott

·
Registered
305 Posts
I spoke to someone at Plasma Concepts today who assured me that use of the DVI card in one of the slots on the 6UY (there are 2 slots) does not disable its component inputs. This was apparently not the case with the 5UY.

·
Registered
299 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by ssteel01
So, I thought that people might have been suggesting that the addition of the DVI card disables one of the component inputs (i.e., either the 15pin RGB/component [Input1?] or BNC component input [Input3?]) similar to the way that the S-video disables the composite input.

But, from what you're saying, it sounds like this is not the case, at least for the BNC component input. I just hope that the 15pin is still active, otherwise my connectivity scheme is out the window...

Thanks.

Scott
I am counting on it to work the way you want it to as well. Crossing fingers now...

·
Registered
1,236 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Okay. I feel better now. I was worried that the 6UY would be like the 5UY with regards to the DVI card.

Thanks all.

Scott

·
Registered
7,201 Posts
There's an optional TY-42TM4D DVI Card (Not HDCP Compliant)

for Panasonic "4" and "5" Series Plasmas.

The Standard terminal on above models must be removed in order to fit the TY-42TM4D card.

So you'll lose component and s-video/composite inputs by doing so.

The TY-42TM4D card comes also with S-Video/Composite, but no Component Input will be available.

Standard Terminal:
http://gon4.audiogon.com/i/c/f/1064029980.jpg

TY-42TM4D:
http://www.plasma.com/plasmaextras/i...onicdvi_lg.jpg

So nothing will be disabled. It simply won't have the Component input at all.

---------------------------------

For Panasonic Commercial "6" Series

The TY-42TM6D DVI Card is HDCP Compliant (Fits all new 2003 Commercial Displays).

You can use it on the free slot 1 (Slots 2 & 3 contains the standard terminal). Also there's an option to remove the standard terminal and have the three slots free to use different configurations with the optional cards.

TH-42PWD6UY Back inputs:

Top Photo - Showing the standard supplied terminal on slot 2 & 3 ( Slot 1 comes empty )

Middle Photo - Showing all 3 slots empty.

Bottom Photo - From the 37" display that comes with 2 slots only

http://pic4.videogon.com/i/c/f/1060649489.gif

There are limitations on where the optional cards can be placed.

Here's the list :

TY-42TM6D - DVI/HDCP ...................... Insertable in slot 1 or 2

TY-42TM6A - BNC Component Video ..... Insertable in slot 1, 2, or 3

TY-42TM6Z - RCA Component Video ..... Insertable in slot 1, 2, or 3

TY-42TM6B - BNC Composite / S-Video . Insertable in slot 1 or 2

TY-42TM6V - RCA Composite / S-Video . Insertable in slot 1 or 2

TY-42TM6P - PC Input ........................ Insertable in slot 1, 2, or 3

TY-42TM6G - RGB Active Through ........ Insertable in slot 1 & 2

The Inputs shouldn't affect others in different slots.

·
Registered
32,172 Posts
Glauco B., the king of Panasonic input information!

·
Registered
376 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by rogo
Glauco B., the king of Panasonic input information!
Nope! Not yet king.. He forgoted the SCART Board :D

·
Registered
32,172 Posts
There is no HD tuner. What use would 1394 be?

·
Registered
19 Posts
You could use the 1394 i/o for DV cameras and decks. There are thousands of families across the US that use DV cameras, wouldn't it make sense that they output to the TV directly via firewire, rather than the RCA composite outputs?

·
Registered
114 Posts
Monitors don't generally have the gear to decode compressed video. Anything video that goes over Firewire is compressed. The compression method for miniDV is different than the one for MPEG, though it's probably easier to decompress.

If a TV has an ATSC receiver then it probably could just as well have a miniDV decoder too.

·
Registered
1,236 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Quote:
Originally posted by Glauco BruZZi

There's an optional TY-42TM4D DVI Card (Not HDCP Compliant)

for Panasonic "4" and "5" Series Plasmas.

So nothing will be disabled. It simply won't have the Component input at all.

Much obliged...

Scott

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.