AVS Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
138 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This may be an apples vs. oranges question, but I have the HDHomeRun tuner and it works great with my cable and BeyondTV. However, I'm not too thrilled with my cable and was thinking of switching to satellite. Does satellite offer the same clear QAM as cable so all I would need to do is change my RG6 wire from my cable company to the satellite? (And then do a rescan, of course.)

·
Registered
912 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by hollywoodjoe /forum/post/12847562

This may be an apples vs. oranges question, but I have the HDHomeRun tuner and it works great with my cable and BeyondTV. However, I'm not too thrilled with my cable and was thinking of switching to satellite. Does satellite offer the same clear QAM as cable so all I would need to do is change my RG6 wire from my cable company to the satellite? (And then do a rescan, of course.)

Definately apples vs. oranges. Satellites do not use QAM at all, Directv uses DSS while most other satellite companies (DishNet, BellExpressVu, etc) use DVB-S. There are actually DVB-S tuner cards but they won't do you any good here in North America because both DishNet and BellExpressVu encrypt all their channels.

·
Registered
138 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Okay, so if I switch from cable to satellite, all of my tuners won't work anymore and I just put them on E-Bay, right?

·
Registered
459 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by hollywoodjoe /forum/post/12849207

Okay, so if I switch from cable to satellite, all of my tuners won't work anymore and I just put them on E-Bay, right?

No, you just put up an antenna, and your HDHomerun will tune all the broadcast networks you can get at your location.

·
Registered
4,321 Posts
See R5000 mod.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts