AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
194 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I think I'm paying now for doing very little homework on the HDTV I picked up last August.

I have an RCA MM36100 4x3 36 inch HDTV ready set.

When I select in the X-Box Dashboard that my TV supports 480p and try and start the game my tv says no signal.

If I'm not getting 480p then what resolution was I playing at when I had my Dreamcast hooked up by VGA and looking alot smoother than my X-Box thru component.

What's the purpose of component if my TV can't do a progressive signal.

Any help would be appreciated,thanks!

·
Registered
1,249 Posts
Bojo1756, the RCA you brought does not support progressive signal through the component input. The Model MM36110, I think is the model number, does. Your component input is just 480I. I have the same old MM32100 that does not support progress display in the component input

What we have is STANDARD COMPONENT.

·
Registered
194 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the bad news taron1.This is what I hoped was not true.I think I remember reading it a year and a half ago on a Best Buy review but had no clue what progressive was.

Let me tell you,now I do and boy was I stupid to get this set.

So now a progressive scan DVD player would be useless on my set wouldn't it?Is there any options for sets like mine to do what equals the excelent picture quality of progressive sets?

So I'm still confused on why Dreamcast looked so damn good thru VGA?If it wasn't 480p then was it upconverted to 1080i?

Sorry about all the questions but I need to find out soon if I will need a second job to save up for a better HDTV set. :)

·
Registered
194 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Sorry I'm back already but I just looked up my set and came across this (good news?).""SVGA Progressive Scan Compatible (Multiscan/Multisync)""

Now do any progressive scan DVD players have SVGA inputs on them?

If i could ever get my hands on a VGA cord for the X-Box maybe it will look as smooth as DC.

My fingers are so crossed right now!

:D

·
Registered
1,249 Posts
Yes, progressive through the VGA inputs only! You can buy component to VGA adapters about 200.00. I would wait for Microsoft third party to make a VGA output for the XBOX.

·
Registered
70 Posts
I am in the same boat. I have the Proscan model of your TV with a DC as well running VGA. I am going to get the component video to vga transcoder as soon as I get my Time warner HD box. Then I will use it for the XBOX cable and game cube. :)

·
Registered
194 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks taron1.

If you are the same taron1 from teamxbox.com then thanks for your help over there too.

I did more research looking for a dvd player with VGA inputs on it and came up with nothing so I think I'll start a thread about that to see if anyone knows something about it.

·
Registered
564 Posts
there is a very good progressive dvd that has a vga output,

its called Skyworth. search for it in the dvd section. Or you could

use a HTPC.

On the xbox you only options are using a transcoder,
www.copperbox.com , or waiting for a cheap vga box.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.