AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
469 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm getting the 70" when it's available. It would be a HUGE bonus if it's able to handle HD Digital Cable w/o "renting" Comcast Cable's HD Cable box. I know that there is a DVI output on these boxes, but they are deactivated.

I'm a bit new to HD Programming and suddenly, I realize that I don't need my SAT HD200 since I'm not going to invest in Direct TV. Any knowledge of "Clear QAM" HD would be appreciated. I don't know if it requires the built in ATSC Tuner to work or if the built in ATSC tuner is PURELY for OTA HD Transmissions and not even Direct TV. (this being the case, I believe that all built in ATSC tuners are pretty much useless)

Here's a quote from a website that has some specs on the KDF-70XBR950 (Grand Wega III)

"New to the popular Grand WEGA LCD-based rear projection lineup are the 60-inch KDF-60XBR950 and the new 70-inch screen size KDF-70XBR950 widescreen models with built-in ATSC tuner, Uniform Brightness Screenâ„¢ technology, enhanced Memory Stick media playback, both i.LINK and DVI-HDTV digital interfaces, and a new design. They are also Clear QAM tuning capable for access to digital terrestrial and unscrambled local digital channels from many cable service providers. "

http://reviews.designtechnica.com/review89.html

Any confirmation and elaboration how this might work would be appreciated.

The GW3 XBR manual does not mention anything about Clear QAM tuning in relation to its ATSC Tuner

Thanks!

El

·
Registered
17,407 Posts
EL

I think the operational phrase is "unscrambled local digital channels from many cable service providers. "

Anything you can currently get without a cable box with just straight cable is what you'll be able to get with this tuner. No pay per views, no premium channels that require a cable box.

There is quite a discussion going on about the "POD" point of deployment devices on some of the newer sets . If interested, you might want to do a search on it and read up.

Jim

·
Registered
469 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks..I don't want any of the premium channels - basic analog cables are justfine. However, i do want the standard hd programming that is normally available through basic digital cable and OTA transmission.

I would prefer to not have the box if at all possible

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Status
Not open for further replies.