AVS Forum banner
1 - 20 of 63 Posts

·
Registered
3,644 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I would first like to say that I am format neutral, owning both a Toshiba HD-A20 and a Samsung BD-P1200. I have noticed that there aren't many DTS-HD MA titles on HD-DVD but there are plenty of Dolby TrueHD titles and growing. It seems to be the opposite for Blu-ray, which has several DTS-HD MA titles but very few TrueHD titles. It also appears that Toshiba has not announced any plans to make their players DTS-HD MA compatible (beyond core playback). Is it just me or does it seem like HD-DVD doesn't care about DTS Master Audio?

·
Registered
3,265 Posts
Is any other BD studio than Fox releasing disks with DTS MA tracks? And what BD players do we know for sure will in the future decode DTS MA?

I think it's just you.

Btw Studio Canal uses DTS MA exclusively on their HD-DVD releases. So world wide the difference in DTS MA HD-DVDs and DTS MA BDs is probably pretty small.

·
Registered
8,364 Posts
I personally couldn't give a damn about DTS HD MA. I'm not sure why the studios would really want to support it much on HD DVD either, considering that TrueHD is mandatory format and DTS HD MA isn't.

Quite frankly I'm surprised that Studio Canal has gone this route.

·
Registered
3,644 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Well, that's kind of my point. There is absolutely no way to experience DTS-HD Master audio right now and eveytime I do hear about it, it's Blu-ray related. I'm shocked that Toshiba hasn't implemented support for this in their players and more HD-DVD studios backing this as well.

·
Registered
3,644 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Cinema /forum/post/0

Sony doesn't care, Disney doesn't care, Lionsgate doesn't care, Universal doesn't care, Warner Bros. doesn't care, and Paramount doesn't care.

I kind of figured that, it seems as if Fox is alone in this one. I must admit though I would love to see this on HD-DVD's.

·
Registered
8,364 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by lrstevens421 /forum/post/0

Well, that's kind of my point. There is absolutely no way to experience DTS-HD Master audio right now and eveytime I do hear about it, it's Blu-ray related. I'm shocked that Toshiba hasn't implemented support for this in their players and more HD-DVD studios backing this as well.

To expand on my earlier post... Why should they care? TrueHD support is mandatory and is pretty much the same thing as DTS-HD MA without the core.

I would much rather have DD+ 1.5 + TrueHD than DTS-HD MA (including a 1.5 Mbps DTS core) on my discs.

·
Registered
3,644 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by BuGsArEtAsTy /forum/post/0

To expand on my earlier post... Why should they care? TrueHD support is mandatory and is pretty much the same thing as DTS-HD MA without the core.

I would much rather have DD+ 1.5 + TrueHD than DTS-HD MA (including a 1.5 Mbps DTS core) on my discs.

I am really fed up with the whole DTS-HD MA thing as most people are, but it still drives me crazy that there are discs out there that I cannot take full advantage of. Maybe you're right, I've pretty much given up on Master Audio anyway. I guess I should be thankful that HD-DVD didn't fall into the Master Audio trick bag.

·
Registered
3,257 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by lrstevens421 /forum/post/0

Does HD-DVD care about DTS Master Audio?

I would like to know if DTS "cares" about DTS HD MA?

·
Registered
3,644 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by BIG ED /forum/post/0

I would like to know if DTS "cares" about DTS HD MA?

LOL, I don't think they care either

·
Registered
3,799 Posts

Quote:
It also appears that Toshiba has not announced any plans to make their players DTS-HD MA compatible (beyond core playback). Is it just me or does it seem like HD-DVD doesn't care about DTS Master Audio?

DTS have shown DTSHD-MA decoding running on second generation Toshiba HDDVD players. It's likely though not announched that the firmware tweaks used for the DTS demo will filter down into an offical firmware.

Personally i don't mind the wait, especially if it means i can enjoy TrueHD now and experience DTSHD-MA in the near future without having to buy a new player.

·
Registered
512 Posts
Just my own observation and opinions:

I don't think DTS 5.1 or DTS-ES was ever a mandatory part of the DVD spec at all. It was only later that CE companies decided to add DTS decoding/bitstream output.

So it isn't surprising that DTS-HD decoding wasn't mandatory for HD DVD but DTS at 1.5Mbps is. And Universal has in their early HD DVD releases provided DTS (1.5Mbps) tracks but today very few or none of the releases have DTS tracks on them coz DD+ for Universal titles is encoded at 1.5Mbps (so theoretically that almost makes no difference, I suppose?)

To be fair, the DVD forum could have mandate the support of DTS-HD MA/HR at 2.0 ch just like TrueHD. Mandatory support of DTS just looks so DVDish.

·
Registered
8,364 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by e_professor /forum/post/0

Just my own observation and opinions:

I don't think DTS 5.1 or DTS-ES was ever a mandatory part of the DVD spec at all. It was only later that CE companies decided to add DTS decoding/bitstream output.

Correct. My original DVD player has no DTS support at all. If you selected a DTS track, you would get no sound.

A lot of receivers at the time had no DTS support either.

Quote:
So it isn't surprising that DTS-HD decoding wasn't mandatory for HD DVD but DTS at 1.5Mbps is. And Universal has in their early HD DVD releases provided DTS (1.5Mbps) tracks but today very few or none of the releases have DTS tracks on them coz DD+ for Universal titles is encoded at 1.5Mbps (so theoretically that almost makes no difference, I suppose?)

Some claim that DD+ 1.5 is potentially better than DTS 1.5.

·
Registered
7,935 Posts
Studio Canal regularly releases HD DVDs with DTS MA.

·
Registered
3,799 Posts

Quote:
Why have TrueHD+DD+ when you can just have DTS-MA, with core 1.5? Also, no stupid dialnorm.

Because it consumes more space, and may be technically harder to decode.

·
Premium Member
3,095 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grubert /forum/post/0

Studio Canal regularly releases HD DVDs with DTS MA.

Grubert: Doesn't Weinstein for HD DVD?

·
Registered
4,675 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by BuGsArEtAsTy /forum/post/0

Correct. My original DVD player has no DTS support at all. If you selected a DTS track, you would get no sound.

A lot of receivers at the time had no DTS support either.

Some claim that DD+ 1.5 is potentially better than DTS 1.5.

I have been listening to soundtracks for a long time. Some Laser Discs had DTS tracks at 1.5. Today they still sound great. I have A/B DD+ and DTS 1.5 and so far I always pick the DTS. Equal bitrate doesn't mean equal quality. DTS has always been at worst equal to DD and at best much better. I'd like to see DTS get and fair chance to compete with DD on HDDVD.

·
Registered
774 Posts
Just posted a question regarding this on the Insiders thread. I'm curious whether DTS-MA will be possible with todays Toshiba players and if/when they are going to add full support for the codec. Not sure if it has been asked already, but let's see... Hopefully some of the insiders will pass it to Toshiba as enhancement request.

·
Registered
4,715 Posts
I'd say it will in time. Much like DVD early player wouldent even play the DTS tracks so be glad current HDDVD players atlest decode the core DTS track.

The frimware will come but I think they want to work on all the playback issues first..

1 - 20 of 63 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.