AVS Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
232 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Sorry for asking this, but I was wondering if the HD-DVD drive that are in stores now still comes with the remote and King kong. The reason I'm asking is that I have the Circuit City coupon for 40 bucks off of 199, but I need to drive 45 minutes to the nearest Circuit City. I called customer service and they were unable to help me check. Thanks for any info.

·
Registered
6,992 Posts
Did you tell them the key words in "Customer Service" are 1) Customer and 2) Service, then explain to them that you are a customer demanding servicing? Oh wait, that didn't come out right...

I would call them back and demand satisfaction.

However, I can tell you that I bought mine about 3 weeks ago and it had KK in it.

·
Registered
2,900 Posts
I understand why you're asking. But, not having King Kong shouldn't be a deal breaker. This drive does amazing things. I rent every HD-DVD I can get my hands on from Blockbuster Online. I use the instore exchange to rent any SD dvd for the kids. Or SD movies not available on HD-DVD. Just go get it. Use the $40 to buy some movies. I suggest Lucky # Sleven. I haven't seen the HD-DVD but I have seen the movie. Good in my opinion.

PS- I have 40 HD-DVD's in my queue.

·
Registered
4,234 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by cnickersonjr /forum/post/0

I understand why you're asking. But, not having King Kong shouldn't be a deal breaker. This drive does amazing things. I rent every HD-DVD I can get my hands on from Blockbuster Online. I use the instore exchange to rent any SD dvd for the kids. Or SD movies not available on HD-DVD. Just go get it. Use the $40 to buy some movies. I suggest Lucky # Sleven. I haven't seen the HD-DVD but I have seen the movie. Good in my opinion.

PS- I have 40 HD-DVD's in my queue.

It was a deal breaker for me because once that promotion stops they are not including the remote either....

I looked at my purchase like this:

$100 bucks for an HD-DVD player considering the movie and the remote cost 30 a piece...It was just to sweet to pass up...

·
Registered
461 Posts
I just purchased mine 2 days ago and it included both the King Kong HD-DVD and the remote. If it has the KK sticker on the box then it has them included. Just call the store and ask to speak with a salesman. Tell him you are interested in the add on drive and ask him what is included. They should be able to tell you. You could try and be sneaky and just ask point blank if the box has the KK sticker on it.

Steve

·
Registered
3,422 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by spinksjinx /forum/post/0

It was a deal breaker for me because once that promotion stops they are not including the remote either....

I looked at my purchase like this:

$100 bucks for an HD-DVD player considering the movie and the remote cost 30 a piece...It was just to sweet to pass up...

Eh, controller works like a remote..

·
Registered
461 Posts
talbain,

I bought mine at Target. Granted I live in a different part of the country, but my Target had 4 drives that I could see, but possibly 6 as they were on the bottom shelf and there could have been 2 pushed to the back. I didn't get on the floor to check.

Steve

·
Registered
232 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Thanks for all the replies. I will call them again tomorrow before making the trek out to CC. I am probably going to pick up the HD-DVD drive along with Serenity and Batman Begins. Why is Superman Returns still so expensive? Is it because of the dual DVD + HDDVD? 30 bucks is a bit steep. I'll wait until it gets cheaper. Again, thanks for the input.

Also, I only have a 32" 1080i/720p set (westy w3213). Still look good on this? I have checked out some WMV-HD clips and they look amazing on the TV. So that's what provoked me to buy the drive.

·
Registered
3,422 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uegis /forum/post/0

Thanks for all the replies. I will call them again tomorrow before making the trek out to CC. I am probably going to pick up the HD-DVD drive along with Serenity and Batman Begins. Why is Superman Returns still so expensive? Is it because of the dual DVD + HDDVD? 30 bucks is a bit steep. I'll wait until it gets cheaper. Again, thanks for the input.

Also, I only have a 32" 1080i/720p set (westy w3213). Still look good on this? I have checked out some WMV-HD clips and they look amazing on the TV. So that's what provoked me to buy the drive.

Be prepared to buy alot of movies that way.. Forcing you to buy the old SD version when you want the HD version.. To bad they didn't force people to buy the HD version for the SD version... It seems alot of the new releases are this way.. And go here to get an idea of the quality of each movie.. Some movies will look crappy while others look beautiful..

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=705387

·
Registered
5,084 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by steve68 /forum/post/0

talbain,

I bought mine at Target. Granted I live in a different part of the country, but my Target had 4 drives that I could see, but possibly 6 as they were on the bottom shelf and there could have been 2 pushed to the back. I didn't get on the floor to check.

Steve

yeah, now that i think about it, i believe i saw those boxes in toys r us (also visited yesterday), and they were sticker free because they were empty display boxes...

·
Registered
210 Posts
I believe the remote will always be bundled. It makes sense since the packaging is designed with an spot for it inside, and it's printed on the outside of the box as well. Where as the KK promotion is a sticker added to the box.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.