AVS Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
634 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hey all, first post in this neck of the woods. i usually stay in the audio area... and your about to find out why

im moving soon and as i removed my tv from my wall, i noticed something; it has an HDMI input!! yes, this is honestly the first time in 18months that ive noticed it

my question is: does this mean me tv is capable of ____ resolution? 720p? 1080p? 1080i? im sorry, but the tv is boxed away with all my stuff, so i cant get a model number. i do know its a 26" Sharp (not aquos) lcd and its widescreen. it just seems to me like they wouldnt put an HDMI input on a tv unless it could truly do HD... right?

sorry for the lame post, and thanks to all who read and reply!

·
Registered
3 Posts
HDMI does not guarantee a minimum capable resolution but it's safe to say that your TV is probably capable of at least 720p. Remember that you need a high definition source to fully enjoy an HDTV.

·
Registered
78 Posts
I'm not aware of any tv with hdmi inputs that isn't at least 720p. HDMI was created specifically for allowing high resolution video(a la DVI for pc) and audio transfer with copy protection built in.

I'm pretty sure EDTVs were being phased out before hdmi became commonplace.

·
Registered
634 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
cool. thanks for the replies! other than my laptop, i have no products with HDMI. im running component video with my dvd player. i play on upgrading to a DVD/SACD player somewhat soon, and the one im looking at has hdmi. not sure about its resolution though...

thanks again!

·
Registered
78 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by MajorD /forum/post/16927661

Interesting sidebar- laptops with HDMI output don't guarantee HD output, just the convenience of audio and video with 1 cable.

If a dvd player has hdmi it's almost definitely an upscaling player in which case it will do 720p/1080i.

·
Registered
720 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tritea /forum/post/16927670

If a dvd player has hdmi it's almost definitely an upscaling player in which case it will do 720p/1080i.

Or 1080p.

·
Registered
78 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigbare /forum/post/16927686

Or 1080p.

I haven't followed upscaling dvd players in a LOOOOOOOONNNNGGGGG time. Kind of redundant for most home consumers since hd-dvd and bluray came on the scene. I thought most upscaling dvd players intentionally didn't output 1080p(because of movie studios and nextgen player manufacturers).

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.