AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
281 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a BG808 and new Dish 6000, and a 4:3 screen. I have been cycling through the aspect selections on the 6000. Fortunately it does not bother me to have 16:9 on my screen, or even the shrunken 4:3 image when in 16:9 mode. BUT, I am worried that I have to set my vertical size to the minimum in order to have the 16:9 picture (unlike DVD's which do it for me). My current solution is to switch back to 4:3 format when watching 4:3 pictures so that I use the whole phospher. Is the 16:9 squeezing bad for the tubes, and if so how bad? Is there another solution?

At least the picture is awesome!

·
Registered
1,321 Posts
Every CRT owner (including myself) who uses a 16:9 screen leaves their CRT projector in the "squeexed" 16:9 mode for the entire time. This will not effect the projector or put much stress on the electronics.

Quote:
BUT, I am worried that I have to set my vertical size to the minimum in order to have the 16:9 picture (unlike DVD's which do it for me).
When you say "unlike DVD's which do it for me". I hope you realize that just like a HDTV signal, you need to setup your DVD player to output 16:9. Then you need to perform the same squeeze in order to gain the benefits of anamorphically enhanced DVDs. Otherwise, if you leave your DVD player setup at 4:3, you are losing a lot of resolution in addition to unwanted artifacts.

·
Registered
2,027 Posts
Quote:
BUT, I am worried that I have to set my vertical size to the minimum in order to have the 16:9 picture (unlike DVD's which do it for me).
That is normal, and not harmful. I have all my input sources (scaler, HTPC, HDTV receiver) set for anamorphic display on a 16:9 screen. Depending on the input I need to set my BG808s's V-SIZE down to somewhere between 0 and 5.

The only real implication this has is that if you do this you are pretty much commiting to 16:9 for the rest of the life of the tubes. If you put several thousand hours on the tubes in this "squeezed" mode, then if you try to go back to a 4:3 mode you will most likely see uneven usage burn.

·
Registered
281 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Not sure I follow - with my DVD player, if it is a 16:9 picture, it comes out 16:9 on my screen (and fits perfectly with no further adjustment), and if it is a 4:3 picture (of course haven't seen many of those!), it comes out 4:3 (also fitting perfectly). There is nothing to switch, I just run the S-VHS into my DVDO and then the projector.

The squeeze I worry about is setting the projector's vertical size adjustment to the minimum, necessary for the Dish 6000 picture.

·
Registered
1,321 Posts
Doug,

On your DVD player you need to go into the setup menu and change the output from 4:3 to 16:9. This will tell the DVD player to send the entire 16:9 image to your CRT projector without having the DVD player downconvert the image for a 4:3 screen. Then you will squeeze the image back down to the 16:9 shape and gain approx. 33% resolution which will become very apparent.

I've learned over the years that a picture is worth a thousand words, so here's some illustrations to show you...

This shows a 720x480 (16:9) DVD image displaying on a 4:3 screen with the DVD player output to 4:3. Notice the DVD player is only utilizing 360 lines for the image area.
http://personal.atl.bellsouth.net/at...orn/4x3lbx.jpg

This shows a 720x480 (16:9) DVD image displaying on a 4:3 screen with the DVD player output to 16:9. Notice now that the entire 480 lines of information are used but the image is stretched.
http://personal.atl.bellsouth.net/at...9stretched.jpg

This shows a 720x480 (16:9) DVD image displaying on a 4:3 screen with the DVD player output to 16:9. Using your projector's Vertical size adjustment, now you can squeeze the image back down to the 16:9 image and utilize the entire 480 lines of resolution. This is why anamorphic DVDs are listed as "enhanced for 16x9"!
http://personal.atl.bellsouth.net/at...x9enhanced.jpg

·
Registered
888 Posts
Hey guys, I disagree with assertation that ALL crt owners do it that way. I don't. I have 4 settings for my projector

1) 4:3 Vsize and Hsize at about 80% each

2) 16:19 Vsize 0, Hsize 100

3) 2.35:1 Vsize 0, Hsize 100, Phase-shift to top of image area and guns blanked outside of the 2.35:1 area (ok, maybe this is just a derivative of #2)

4) Warm-Up Mode V/H 100, unconverged, I display solid white at this mode for about 15 minutes when I want to warm up the machine

·
Registered
281 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
DOH! I didn't know my DVD player did that! Guess I never paid much attention because I have been tweaking my projector non-stop since getting it last year.... I will check it out when I get home tonight. Thanks for the tip!

·
Registered
263 Posts
Do you do this with an HTPC DVD Player also? Or does the software player send out the extra lines anyway???

Snorf

·
Registered
6,126 Posts
If you don't use the squeeze function you will see the same picture but the resolution will be off because some of your available lines of resolution will be lost in your black bars on the top and bottom. About a third of your resolution is wasted give or take a little. Try that with a LCD...

Chip S.

·
Premium Member
4,676 Posts
Jaz, dude, defintely switch your DVD player to 16:9. You will notice a HUGE difference with anamorphic DVDs. Heck , I rarely purchase a DVD that isn't anamorphic because it makes such a big difference. If your DVD player is set for 4:3 though, even the anamorphic disks come out looking like non-anamorphic ones. Bleh!

Cary

PS. On my Ehome, I do the vertical squeeze....

·
Registered
1,696 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by Snorf
Do you do this with an HTPC DVD Player also? Or does the software player send out the extra lines anyway???

Snorf
Yes, just tell the software player to not lock the aspect ratio.

In WinDVD 3.x it's under Properties->Display.

This sends out the anamorphically compressed image to the display. Then use vSize to adjust to correct vertical height.

I also run a 4:3 screen, but have two memory settings in the Proj. One for 4:3 material and another for 16:9 using the vSqueeze.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.