AVS Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
1,276 Posts
Not necessarily.

Why possibly pay for something priced higher if you might possibly like the lower priced one better?

Easiest solution to your problem would be to audition, but then the problem would be finding a store that has those 2 specific brands/models you're looking for.

·
Registered
2,697 Posts
Of course it does. After I bought my speakers, the manufacturer raised the MSRP and they immediately sounded better.

·
Registered
6,155 Posts
If you were comparing speakers of the same brand, then the higher priced ones would be better, 95% of the time.

But as you're comparing speakers from two different companies its up for grabs. Only auditioning both, in the same room, will tell you which ones you will like better.

·
Registered
896 Posts
Does higher MSRP means better performance?

Nope.

·
Premium Member
5,900 Posts
The wisest way to buy speakers is to shop at the same place all the time, and always demand the "frequent customer surcharge" of 10% over retail price.

·
Registered
1,244 Posts

Quote:
The wisest way to buy speakers is to shop at the same place all the time, and always demand the "frequent customer surcharge" of 10% over retail price.

Shazzammmmm, you just gave me an idea! To think I've been missing out on all that profit.

I'm not sure I even understand this thread?

·
Registered
1,082 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4DHD /forum/post/15473428

If you were comparing speakers of the same brand, then the higher priced ones would be better, 95% of the time.

But as you're comparing speakers from two different companies its up for grabs. Only auditioning both, in the same room, will tell you which ones you will like better.

I would bet in a DBT that the % would be a lot lower than that.

·
Registered
6,155 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bruins29 /forum/post/15474135

I would bet in a DBT that the % would be a lot lower than that.

Well it would depend on the speakers in question. And sometimes there is very little difference in SQ from one model to another. Then again, there can be a huge difference between models. That's staying within the same company.

As soon as you try comparing speakers from different companies its a crap shoot, as the msrp/SQ ratio might not be anywhere close between brands.

I've auditioned some speakers that I wouldn't pay 1/2 price, much less full retail. And others, I paid full price with no second thought.

·
Registered
2,494 Posts
Compare a tower with lots of average quality drivers to a bookshelf with better components but a bit lower price, the tower will have more dynamics and extension, but what about clarity, imaging etc? Both from the same manufacturer. Even two bookshelves with very different builds can have various strengths and weaknesses relative to each other. Many times people say they prefer an older model to a newer more expensive one from the same line.

Perhaps your ratio would be true if you said "the much more higher priced ones of the same brand"

·
Registered
6,155 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by CADOBHuK /forum/post/15474660

Compare a tower with lots of average quality drivers to a bookshelf with better components but a bit lower price, the tower will have more dynamics and extension, but what about clarity, imaging etc? Both from the same manufacturer. Even two bookshelves with very different builds can have various strengths and weaknesses relative to each other. Many times people say they prefer an older model to a newer more expensive one from the same line.

Well that bookshelf may not be cheaper either. I can think of a certain brand with different series ranging from cheap to very expensive and none of the cheaper tower models can match the higher priced bookshelf, in clarity and soundstage.

But there are middle priced bookshelf speakers, although not as good as the more expensive one, I would still take over the towers from a cheaper series. And maybe those bookshelf speakers are cheaper, and maybe not compared to the towers

Quote:
Perhaps your ratio would be true if you said "the much more higher priced ones of the same brand"

I did say that there can be very little difference between some models of the same brand.

But there are some brands, that if you only looked at their price, you would think they were really good, when in fact, their entire line is only snake oil, imo. And you could buy a much better speaker, from another brand, for maybe 1/2 price of the snake oil type.

But for any given speaker company that is considered to be reputable, you should be able to hear an improved sound, as you move up the ladder of their various series. Although between some series there maybe only small differences.

·
Registered
985 Posts
" Does higher MSRP means better performance? "

Higher price does not necessarily mean better performance.

Higher price can some times mean better quality parts, but that's not even a given.

Good parts, with an excellent design and excellent implementation, will often sound much better than high-priced, so-called fancy-smancy boutique parts and gear.

That's the so-called fancy-smancy boutique parts and gear, which is often described as "transparent, highly-revealing and highly-resolving".

"Transparent, highly-revealing and highly-resolving" means only one thing. 98% of the recordings on any format available, will sound horrible and one won't enjoy a minute's worth of the music one truely loves.

So unless your one of those "Audiophiles" who wants to limit yourself to a handful of select, isolated recordings which were recorded, mixed and mastered perfectly; you are better off finding gear which is more forgiving and less "transparent, highly-revealing and highly-resolving".

"Transparent, highly-revealing and highly-resolving" is a "we live in a perfect world" concept. Not just in terms of the gear, but also the music/recordings we love listenign to.

Last time I checked, none of us live in that perfect world and those handful of select, isolated "Audiophile Approved" recordings are largely stale, emotionless, bland recordings which no one with an active social life, full of rich memories and experiences will ever want to listen to.

Look for gear that suits your music and sound tastes/preferences, gear that suits what your using it for (music? HT? Both? ); as well as the dimensions and acoustics of your listening environment and your ouwn budget.

·
Registered
3,323 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by buzzy_ /forum/post/15471614

Of course it does. After I bought my speakers, the manufacturer raised the MSRP and they immediately sounded better.

buzzy gets "BEST RESPONSE OF THE DAY"......that's a great answer!

And now for the "correct" answer.........

I only look at MSRP for a second..........the rest of the time I concentrate on what I can actually purchase the product for.

·
The Village Idiot
9,738 Posts
This question reminds me of a predicament I had several years ago.

About 7 years ago I bought 4 Infinity Interludes, 2 IL50s and 2 IL40s. For years I thought the IL50s should be the better speaker simply by the fact that I paid more for them. This simple logic could not overcome what my ears were telling me when I decided that 4 large towers were just too much for my LR. I decided to conduct a shootout of sorts. I used the IL40s (with a sub) as the mains for a few months to get a feel for how they sounded. The IL40s revealed more mid range than the IL50s.

Hmm, what to do?

Well the long and short of it is the IL50s are gone and the IL40s, barely broken in as of 2 years ago are my front mains. I've since bought the IL30s for surrounds. Sounds good to me.

Lesson learned: never trust MSRP values to gage a speakers performance, even within the same line.

I think the IL line was just about a match for those white van speakers, MSRP wise.

·
Registered
985 Posts
As I have said in the past, I auditioned the VA Mozart Grand.

I compared them and put them up against the Jamo C607.

It was no contest. The Jamo C607 embarrassed the VA Mozart Grand.

Truth be told, so did the pair of Jamo C603 bookshelf.

The Jamo speakers are better up and down. More coherent, more stable, wondefully musical, smoother and able to play lower frequencies with ease. Low Frequencies that had previously destroyed the Mozarts.

Oh, the Mozarts had nicer finishes. Looking for furniture? The Mozarts are for you.

Looking for great sounding speakers, for a reasonable price; but lack fancy finishes? Check out the Jamo's.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts