Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,

New to the projector world, beeing lurking a lot in these forums. Very educational!

I've read a lot about different quality scalers and deinterlacers across projectors; for example, people have been raving about the X1 in this regard.

Whichever projector I wind up buying, I intend to build an HTPC for it. Although new to projectors, I'm quite comfortable DIY'ing PC equipment.

Does the available scaler and deinterlacing software for PC's render the issue moot with regards to built-in processing for a particular projector?

Some people have said that the Sanyo Z1, for example, has a poor deinterlacer. Does it matter at all if I drive it with an HTPC?

thanks!

Aaron

·
Registered
3,243 Posts
If you feed a digital projector a progressively-scanned image with the same resolution as its native format, you should bypass all onboard deinterlacing and scaling. For example, if you have an XGA (1024 x 768) projector and you run your HTPC video card at XGA resolution, no line doubling or scaling should occur. If you fed the projector a SVGA (800 x 600) signal, the projector's scaler would kick in to scale up the image to its native 1024 x 768. And if you used the projector's S-Video connection, the projector's deinterlacer and scaler would line double the picture and upscale it to its native XGA resolution.

The trick for you is to find an HTPC that can feed the Z1 its native 960 x 540 resolution... you might have to use something like Powerstrip (search the HTPC forums for more information on Powerstrip).

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.