AVS Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
279 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I notice with watching movies/tv shows on the computer, my Sony W800b looks better on the General setting, on game mode it is 22-24ms and around 90ms on the General setting. Will this matter for watching movies/tv shows? Or does it make a significant difference (when having lower input lag) with fast moving objects/people even if it is just a movie/tv show?

·
Registered
839 Posts
Input lag concerns are all about gaming where you are trying to react quickly to something your game console tried to put on the screen some time back. That "some time" is the lag in question. Watching a movie, it might mean that when you click pause the player is already two or three frames ahead of the TV. You'll never notice it.

·
Registered
279 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Does everyone agree with this? I suppose it doesn't matter for videos then, I notice the cursor speed is noticeably a lot faster when on game mode.

·
Registered
465 Posts
I agree: input lag is only a consideration for response time from controllers: a remote control, a gamepad, a mouse, etc. You only care about response time while gaming or using a PC, typically.

Response time is is not a factor at all while watching a movie, video, or live television.

You saw the cursor respond quicker: that is a reduction in input lag for that display mode. Usually these modes disable other display features in order to increase the response time performance.

Hope that helps.

·
Registered
7,233 Posts
Does everyone agree with this? I suppose it doesn't matter for videos then, I notice the cursor speed is noticeably a lot faster when on game mode.
Yes, and I think your confusing response time with Input Lag as it relates to input source gaming. A BD Player is going to pass through at it's designated frame rate which is matching the Film Master which should be 24fps.

I've never seen Input Lag refer to anything but gaming-here.

Your TV is not a PC though it has Smart Features/Processing - performance of PC to TV can depend on many variables like your Video Card capabilities and Video Cards are always in a constant state of change.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts