AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am having an ISF calibration done in a few days. They Tech. gets an extra $100 for installing Duvetyne inside the cabinet to make the picture brighter. I already know this could void your warranty; however he has had 2 instances where the repairman came out and asked what's this stuff? They told the repairman and they said that's neat. My question is will it make your HDTV run any hotter, or there any disadvantages and are the benefits worth the cost? I have a new 73" Mitsubishi Diamond with tuner. I love this set and enjoying wowing my friends and neighbors who can't believe the picture.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Can any ISF Techs lend any info on installing Duvetyne inside the tv cabinet?My tech comes on Wednesday and I would like to know your input. Thanks.

·
Registered
30 Posts
I am going to order some Duvetyne for my set. I read that it will really improve your contrast giving the picture a better 3D look.

The Duvetyne is installed in the upper cabinet area. This area has no electronics and is not vented for heat reduction. So there is no problem adding this material to this area. The lower cabinet has all the electronics and CRT's, this area is vented for heat.

I suppose that Mits could say that any intrusion into the set could void the warranty. Not sure about this. I do believe that calibration is an acceptable practice and adding Duvetyne is accepted as part of ISF calibration package. I can see no harm in adding the material to the cabinet, I dought that anyone would.

·
Premium Member
14,299 Posts
Duvetyne does not make your picture brighter. It's purpose is to improve black levels by reducing in-cabinet reflections. This improves contrast by pulling down black level, not by brightening the picture.

$100 dollars for installation sounds pretty good to me. I paid about $40 for the material and did it myself (with the help of a friend). Make sure they build a lense hood. The lense hood has had more of an effect that the duve of the inner cabinet.

Don't expect a huge, immediately noticeable improvement. The effects are subtle at best. Easily one of the least beneficial tweaks out there.

·
Registered
257 Posts
Larry,

I have a 73903 which I had Duvetyne installed about two years ago. Well worth the $, especially considering the price of the TV. I've had no overheating issues, only better blacks, which in turn improves the color. I also use Richard Gray's Power Company, which also improves black level, color and definition. I can't advise regarding warranty issues.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.