AVS Forum banner

1 - 20 of 42 Posts

·
Registered
143 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a Samsung 55" 6350, and I love it.

I've come to understand this is a middle of the road set rather than a top tier set, and I would like to upgrade my home theater experience.

I'm looking at 75" options, but only in the 2k - 3k price range. Spending anything more than that on a TV starts to get ridiculous for me.

It seems 4k sets are a bad idea as, even if the difference in quality is worthwhile there isn't a consistently implemented standard yet. 4K sets also seem to be the only thing being offered. Does it make sense to get a cheaper 4k set, or to get a higher quality 1080p set hat is known to be high quality?

·
Registered
484 Posts
It probably doesn't, none the less many of us are dying for new 75" and up sets to be released. At the present time, there is not a single 75 or larger set on the market that Id want to own that is south of 25k. That is a bit too steep for my blood.

So I wait for the new Sony x940c, Samsung JS9500 and Sharp Beyond 4K sets to launch.

I personally believe 4K is important on sets above 65". It's not just about the 4K resolution either. Manufacturers are putting their best tech in the 4K sets as well. The non 4K sets don't have the bells and whistles. I don't believe their is a single non 4K 75" or larger set being released this year. Just get something that has hdmi 2.0 and hdcp 2.2 so you'll be ready for 4K bluray.

In the lower price ranges one set that may be worth looking into is the 85" JVC 4K which is a Costco exclusive. I've heard it's come down as low as $5500.

If your set on spending only 3K on a set this large, Id maybe look at a 70" or 80" Sharp. I don't think you'll find a better set in that price range.

·
Registered
58 Posts
I love my new Samsung 75h7150. Only had 2 weeks and no regrets. But I believe that will be the last of the high end 75s from Samsung. The 2015 1080p set already removes a bunch of bells and whistles from the 2014 model.

·
Registered
143 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
its also rediculous to want a GOOD 75" tv for 2 grand. thats a luxury product. I want a brand new BMW for 10 grand, but its not realistic. your either going to pay a good amount of money, or sacrifice serious picture quality, so its your choice.
Why? I could get a 70" Samsung 6300 for approximately 2k, and I certainly consider that a good set. Not great, but good.

·
Registered
17,118 Posts
Why? I could get a 70" Samsung 6300 for approximately 2k, and I certainly consider that a good set. Not great, but good.

I would not consider that a good set. Probably slightly below average to average. That is a 120hz tv with CMR of 240, that's as weak as it gets for that size proccessor.

I see Amazon has a 75" f8000 for 3200, now THAT is a good 1080p set. Will blow the doors off that 6300 (and off my previous f7100)

·
Registered
898 Posts
I would not consider that a good set. Probably slightly below average to average. That is a 120hz tv with CMR of 240, that's as weak as it gets for that size proccessor.

I see Amazon has a 75" f8000 for 3200, now THAT is a good 1080p set. Will blow the doors off that 6300 (and off my previous f7100)
WOW, your tv has doors.... 😄

·
Registered
1,026 Posts
its also rediculous to want a GOOD 75" tv for 2 grand. thats a luxury product. I want a brand new BMW for 10 grand, but its not realistic. your either going to pay a good amount of money, or sacrifice serious picture quality, so its your choice.
Wait a year and that might come true???

·
Registered
17,285 Posts
I would wait at least until next year. With HDMI already starting to change (HDMI 2.0a), HDCP 2.2 just becoming more prevalent, either on a single chipset or dual chipset, and the industry still trying to settle on whether a UHD system will be 4:2:2 at 12-bit resolution or not, for that kind of money I'd like to have a system that won't be obsolete in 2 years. And DisplayPort may become a serious player as well.

·
Registered
17,118 Posts
I would wait at least until next year. With HDMI already starting to change (HDMI 2.0a), HDCP 2.2 just becoming more prevalent, either on a single chipset or dual chipset, and the industry still trying to settle on whether a UHD system will be 4:2:2 at 12-bit resolution or not, for that kind of money I'd like to have a system that won't be obsolete in 2 years. And DisplayPort may become a serious player as well.
Good 75" tvs will never be "cheap". There will always be a major premium for large tvs with good quality. Can u get a 75"tv next year with hdmi2.0/hdcp 2.2 for 3k or less? Maybe, but it will be bare bones as far as picture quality and will probably be a 60hz tv with horrible motion.

Size. Good quality. Cheap. You can pick 2 of 3 of those so it's your preference but you won't find all 3 in 1 tv.

·
Registered
143 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Good 75" tvs will never be "cheap". There will always be a major premium for large tvs with good quality. Can u get a 75"tv next year with hdmi2.0/hdcp 2.2 for 3k or less? Maybe, but it will be bare bones as far as picture quality and will probably be a 60hz tv with horrible motion.

Size. Good quality. Cheap. You can pick 2 of 3 of those so it's your preference but you won't find all 3 in 1 tv.
I disagree, they become cheaper each year.

I will probably have to get a 70" anyway, as Sony doesn't seem t make a 75" screen. I have concerns about the OS, but want it because of the low latency for video games.

Samsung has a 75JU7100 for ~ $4200...surely that is already a good deal, I'm sure it could be found cheaper during a sale time or something.

At the moment I am considering both the Sony 850b series and the Samsung series....both are within my price range, but I'm not sure yet if it makes sense for me to buy at the moment. based on what others have said, I think I will wait.

·
Registered
3 Posts
So I have lurked on here for years and I am finally in a position to build a nice whole home multi-room experience. I took the first step tonight and bought a Sharp LC-80LE650U. I wanted an 80" TV for the Kids Game room/Family area. I paid $1999 at Best Buy. Open Box - but it was all still packaged and everything intact. Sold, carried to house and then did not fit so, returned. I feel like that is a great deal on a large TV. The rest of the house is getting Sony XBR's 850's and maybe a 900/950 (65-70") just depends on how broke I want to feel. Definitely 850's in two rooms and maybe the 900 in my family/kitchen/great room. Would love a $25K TV, but that is my whole budget! Anyway thank you for sharing the above info. I had to share what I thought was a great deal on mediocre 80" tV :)

·
Registered
205 Posts

I will probably have to get a 70" anyway, as Sony doesn't seem t make a 75" screen. I have concerns about the OS, but want it because of the low latency for video games.

Samsung has a 75JU7100 for ~ $4200...surely that is already a good deal, I'm sure it could be found cheaper during a sale time or something.

At the moment I am considering both the Sony 850b series and the Samsung series....both are within my price range, but I'm not sure yet if it makes sense for me to buy at the moment. based on what others have said, I think I will wait.
~$4200 for the 75JU7100 - from anyplace reputable?
If you can't say online please PM me.
Thanks

·
Registered
13,714 Posts

The 2015 Vizio M75 wil be $3000: http://www.cnet.com/products/vizio-m60-c3/

·
Registered
143 Posts
Discussion Starter #20 (Edited)
Well thanks for the input all.

let's say I'm willing to go up to $5k, what is the best 70 or 75" TV I can get, 1080P or otherwise?

picture quality is most important, followed by input lag (I play fighting games competitively), followed by a quick and stable OS that allows for easy browsing of DLNa shares, like Samsung does.

It seems like the Sony X850B may be my best bet...what would y'all recommend?

1 - 20 of 42 Posts