AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
thinking of SDI modding my Denon DVD-2200,but it didn't fare so well in the SECRETS tests,does having a "better" player affect the SDI mod or not?Thanks for any info!

·
Registered
404 Posts
I believe that you want a player with a good MPEG decoder. Wether the 2200 fits that description, I do not know.

Not required though, but ... would also want a "reliable" player to mod.

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
my own further research leads me to believe that the denon 2200 has the CUE problem,so I guess I'll just mod it for audio and pick up a Panny RP-82 for viewing and SDI mod it.

·
Registered
1,830 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by megamii
What is this SDI modding I am hearing in the last few days? Is it something to improve picture quality?
It is Serial Digital Interface.

From www.dvdupgrades.ch:

"SDI is the best way to transmit digital video data. There is no hazzle with silly encryption schemes, cable length of under one meter (SDI is offering up to 100 meters), video/audio sync problems or incompatible standards. It is a sraight forward unidirectional protocol over one coaxial wire. It has been in use in the broadcast industry for years. It is therefore preferable to other standards like firewire or DVI.

The advantage of using a SDI cable between your playback equipment and your video processor is that there won't be a single bit or pixel lost or altered on it's way. The difference between analog and SDI is immense."

htomei

·
UHD Addict
39,544 Posts
Which will produce a better picture from the SDi output? The RP82 or the Denon 2200. I have an RP82 with the SDi mod and am thinking about getting my Denon 2200 modified if the picture will be just as good or better.

·
Registered
2,841 Posts
The Panasonic RP91, RP82, XP30, XP50, Denon DVD-1600 and Yamaha 2300 (mkI and mkII) all have the exact same Matsushita (MEI) MPEG decoder. I may have left off a player or two.

Generally, an SDI output (which is digital) from a DVD player is fed to a video processor (check out the Video Processor forum on AVS -- link below) to be deinterlaced (the SDI output is 480i YCbCr) and usually scaled to a display's native (or acceptable) resolution. There are also PC setups that accept SDI signals.

Panasonic's new commercial plasmas (the 7UY series) now have an SDI input board as an option.

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/forum...ne=&forumid=37

·
Registered
1,111 Posts
My Denon 2910 is getting the sdi mod done by Lumagen. I also have an RP82 that will be sdi modded by them next week. So I'll get a chance to compare the two on my Barco 1209 9" CRT. Should be fun.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.