AVS Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Premium Member
24,111 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
To get Atmos sound, I bought a Roku Premiere+ so I could rent the UHD moves that have it.

But it turns out most of them are only available for purchase, not renting.

I'll return the Roku and get an ATV 4K if itunes let's you rent the UHD movies.

Does it?

I've googled and searched w/o finding an answer; even when asked the same question point blank at the Apple support forum, a support person sidestepped with a canned response.

·
Registered
9,978 Posts
To get Atmos sound, I bought a Roku Premiere+ so I could rent the UHD moves that have it.

But it turns out most of them are only available for purchase, not renting.

I'll return the Roku and get an ATV 4K if itunes let's you rent the UHD movies.

Does it?

I've googled and searched w/o finding an answer; even when asked the same question point blank at the Apple support forum, a support person sidestepped with a canned response.
Yes you can rent UHD movies via iTunes. They can be rented for $5.99.

·
Premium Member
24,111 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
@wxman

OK good, but that's possibly ambiguous, i.e. I can also rent UHD movies on Vudu - just not most of them.

Are all, or say, at least 3/4 of them, available for rental on itunes?

Thanks

·
Registered
9,978 Posts
@wxman

OK good, but that's possibly ambiguous, i.e. I can also rent UHD movies on Vudu - just not most of them.

Are all, or say, at least 3/4 of them, available for rental on itunes?

Thanks
I don't know how many UHD movies are on iTunes, but there seems to a lot of them. The new releases generally can only be bought initially, but them become available for rental a few weeks later.

·
Registered
290 Posts
I have seen some UHD movies only available for purchase, and with a future rental date

Reactions: noah katz

·
Registered
290 Posts
I have both units and feel ATV4K offers a much larger library of movies and better pricing.

Reactions: noah katz

·
Premium Member
24,111 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Great, that's what I was hoping to hear.

I don't mind waiting some, but there's a limit; I have movies in my Vudu Wishlist that have been there for 8 mos.

·
Premium Member
24,111 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I'll be returning the Roku and getting ATV 4k, but as far as I can tell there's not much difference in rental availability.

I cross-checked all of the Atmos movies available on both Vudu and itunes (which does have quite a few that Vudu doesn't), and all of the ones listed below aren't available for rent with either Vudu or itunes.

Is there any way to tell when they will become available to rent?

BlackkKlansman

Blade Runner 2049

Flatliners (2017)

Murder on the Orient Express

Pacific Rim Uprising

Ready Player One

Red Sparrow

The Greatest Showman

The Shape of Water

1 - 9 of 9 Posts