Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello all.

I'm getting ready to flip for the PT-L300U. This is my first jump into front proj.

My room is 25' long by 17' wide. I am planning on basically a 80" or so wide screen. Now, the top of my screen will be at 8'. But, if I mount the projector at 9' (1 foot above the screen) and use keystone to readjust the image, will that use of keystone have any negatives as opposed to dropping the projector so as to not use keystone?

BTW: this forum was a godsend.

·
Registered
1,141 Posts
in short: YES! stay away from keystoning if you can, it WILL degrade the image...

·
Registered
492 Posts
Yes, keystoning will degrade the image. But I use the 300U with a moderate amount of side keystoning and find the degradation to be quite minor.

The key is this:

Don't use keystoning if you can help it, but don't be scared of it.

In my case the options were either:

1) move a 2' x 2' concrete and steel structural support pillar (not really an option!)

2) have a significantly smaller image

3) use some keystoning

I personally found the larger image (though *slightly* softer) to be far more enjoyable than a slightly sharper and smaller image.

·
Registered
405 Posts
......Both horizontal and vertical keystone ENABLE the internal scaler of the unit.

.....This does mean PQ degradation in setups which use 1:1 pixel mapping (HTPC matching native panel resolution). PQ degradation is more in horizontal than in vertical keystone!!! Enabling keystone in these cases eliminates any PQ improvement won from 1:1 pixel mapping!!!!!

......In case where the internal scaler is already enabled (pe DVD player output different from PJ native rez) keystone produces PQ degradation but less than above... Again horizontal (pe Sony Sideshot...) degrades PQ more than vertical keystone!!

·
Registered
141 Posts
For a newbie like myself who is about to mount a Da-Lite Screen and X1 on the wall, can someone please explain how keystoning works. From reading the first post, it appears that if the top of the screen and projector must be mounted at the same height to avoid keystoning. Is this correct? Second, is the best waay to avoid keystoning to mount the screen first and then mount the projector so it fits the screen perfectly without having to keystone?

·
Premium Member
730 Posts
My opinion is that the degradation is very minimal for the Sony HS10. I have heard some say it makes a huge difference and I completely disagree. I've seen setups with and without keystone adjustment and I cannot notice a difference. And I use 1:1 pixel mapping with a HTPC...I also do not believe my PQ improvements are eliminated - I have yet to see a dvd player that beats my HTPC/HS10/Keystone combination (including the Bravo).

I think keystone adjustment is an outstanding feature for people with rooms that will not allow for regular projector installation, i.e. room is too small, ceiling fan in the way, etc. If it can be avoided, that is better. But if it must be used, it's not as big a deal as some say it is (at least for the HS10). Now, I must note that I have not used horizontal keystone, such as Sony's Sideshot. So, I suppose I am only referring to vertical keystone adjustments.

·
Registered
28,463 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by Lefty4
Second, is the best waay to avoid keystoning to mount the screen first and then mount the projector so it fits the screen perfectly without having to keystone?
Yes.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Status
Not open for further replies.