AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
408 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have MCE 2005 with an HDTV Wonder and the NVDVD 4.0 codecs from TheaterTek. I can go to the NVDVD setting and set the preference to VMR9, VMR7, or Overlay. I've been trying to resolve the stutter that I get with 1080i material and in switching between the three options, I'm not seeing any difference. Does MCE 2005 always use VMR 9 regardless of the codec preferences?

·
Premium Member
527 Posts
What is the 1080i material? Is it from your HDTV Wonder?

Does the HDTV Wonder use the DVD Codec for live TV?

Also what Video card are you using? My PC keeps crashing when I switch to a HD program and I am wondering if it is because I have an NVidia Video card?

·
Registered
408 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I have an ATI Radeon 9550, using an component adapter to hook up to my 1080i HDTV. The "1080i material" would be some of my local channels via the HDTV Wonder. MCE does use the DVD codec for live TV.

·
Premium Member
527 Posts
OK, so here is my configuration:

MSI K8N Neo Platinum

Athlon64 3000+ retail

MSI Geforce FX5900XT 128 Meg

Hauppauge PVR 350

ATI HDTV Wonder

512 Meg Crucial

40 Gig Maxtor - system drive

250 Gig Maxtor - Drive for recording, etc.

Lite On DVD/RW

So do you think I would be better off getting a Radeon Card? I seem to remember seeing info about the beta HDTV not working unless you had a Radeon Card.

How can you tell in MCE 2K5 what the HD feed is?

Overall how do you like the TT2.0?

I know - a lot of questions, but I would like to get this thing to work :)

·
Registered
408 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Theoretically, the HDTV Wonder should work with ANY DX9 card. I don't have enough experience with it to say whether you absolutely need a Radeon (but since it would be an ATI-ATI combination, it's probably a better bet if since you are having problems). Remember that the reviews of the HDTV Wonder were also based on the ATI software, which may not play well with other video cards....Hard to say though if that is the root cause. I hate to recommend spending money to fix a problem that shouldn't exist, but you could buy a Radeon just to see if that actually resolves your problem, and return it if the problem is really something else.

As far as knowing when I'm dealing with a 1080i signal, I just know what my local stations are broadcasting. In general, FOX and ABC will be in 720P. CBS and NBC will be 1080i simply due to the fact that those are the network's standards. I can definitely corroborate the stuttering to the 1080i channels. I don't see it on 720P, so I'm assuming it has to do with the deinterlacing functions of the codecs.

Anyway, I have only used the TheaterTek codecs for MCE. I did watch a couple minutes of movies with TheaterTek app itself, but I haven't spent enough time with it to really comment on how good or bad it is. I do see that there is a 2.01 update, so I will download that and see if it happens to fix anything with the codecs.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.