AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2,620 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
First let me say I've been peeking around here and haven't gotten the data I need. So here's my own thread.

1) IS this forum the 'definitive' ATI site for discussing their MMC?

I will eventually upgrade to a HD tuner, but have a Samsung TS160 for viewing so it's not a high priority. But, what is is figuring out why MMC 8.8's TV Tuner crashes so frequently it's almost useless. I'd not had this with MMC 8.7 / Catalyst 3.9 and am trying to see if you guys see the same.

My system is AMD XP 2500+, Abit KD7-RAID, 512MB, AIW 9000 Pro, WinXP SP1, DirectX 9b, and the MS media 'encoder'

I'm using Powerstrip, and a Sony 10HT, but these are superficial to the MMC working correctly -- aren't they? What I find is if I open TV, the CPU jumps to 100% for 5 seconds and then settles in around 10%. IF I initiate the TV-On-Demand (TOD) it'll crash giving me the ERROR REPORTING popup. This has become almost a given if I do this during that first 5 seconds, but the CPU jumps to high 90's ANYTIME I'm recording LIVE TOD. I can Pause it a few and the CPU drops to 40 +/- 10%.

Last night I attempted to uninstall ALL ATI. I REMOVED RW 2.2, MMC 8.8, ATI's DVD Player, ATI Control Panel, ATI Display Driver, and then deleted a BUNCH of ATI*.* files from multiple 'c:\\windows\\...' directories. I also deleted their c:\\ATI\\Support directory. Somewhere along the way I ran ATI's UN-cat remover utility, too. Several reboots later I ran their Cat 4.1 executable, DAO, DVD, MMC, and RW. After screwing with Powerstrip to restore my pj (a step NOT necessary to evaluate MMC) I found the performance to be no better than before the exercise.

Any suggestions? Should I look elsewhere for the answer? Is MMC operating correctly (no crashes) on your systems? Did I retain some bad settings as my TV's setup retained my custom recording settings & schedule (could be a clue)? Why did MMC 8.7 work so well and 8.8 so poorly? (BTW, I had Catalyst 3.10 / MMC 8.8 installed for a few days in January too -- it was the first indication of this 'crashy' issue. I thought that's why 4.1 was so quickly releases... again, may be an indicator)

Should I do a complete reinstall of my OS? Are drivers conflicting? Doesn't what I did effectively clean my system by eliminating so many copies of drivers? (I mean lots: like 49 subdirectories of 'backup drivers')

Thanks

Andrew

·
Registered
3,351 Posts
The best MMC forum is over at the rage3D boards.

http://www.rage3d.com/board/forumdis...?s=&forumid=24

As far as 8.8 goes, I have the same crash problem with TOD, but to be honest I never really use that feature and haven't really tried to chase it down.

Other than that, 8.8 is pretty good. The TV application never crashes when I'm just watching and most importantly scheduled records work properly. They fixed the bug where it didn't work if the screen saver was on that was there in 8.6 and 8.7.

If 8.7 was working fine you should just be able to re-install that and keep using the 4.1 video drivers.

·
Registered
2,620 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for the reply, site, and advise :)

I'm still running this down... but at one point I HAD reinstalled 8.7 and it didn't get better. That may have been w/Cat 3.10, but I can't say for sure. I may try that, though.

I did just run a test and see that hitting the REC button only drives the CPU to the 50's. This is probably why my Schedule records properly -- it doesn't have the same issue TOD does in recording LIVE TV.

I'm still searching... How are you on Sound? What is the Cyberlink Audio Renderer (ATI) in my ATI-DVD Player's Audio/Setup? How are you routing your SPDIF to your A/V? Do you know if this 'option' is an ATI solution or a 'leftover' from PowerDVD?

Thanks

Andrew

·
Registered
3,351 Posts
ATI licensed the Cyberlink DVD decoders (audio and video) for the MMC DVD player which is why they show up.

I use TheaterTek instead of the ATI DVD player and I use an M-audio soundcard for SPDIF to my receiver. I used the ATI DVD player very briefly and for that I used the ATI SPDIF output.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.