AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
516 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My tv viewing area is currently in my 20x20' basement with 7.5ft celings. However, the tv and couches are placed in a corner of the room. The Area from which the tv will be watched takes up about 1/3 of the total floor space of the room ( the couches are placed in an "L" shape, basically designating that area as the HT)

My question is: can I get away with a smaller sub, or do I need one that can handle a 20x20 ft room? I was currently looking at getting the 10" Velodyne VRP 1000 (115W continuous, 185W max) that I can get for ~125$ US. I'm currently using an 8" Onkyo (100W max, not sure of the continuous rating) that came with my old Onkyo ht-s570 HTiB, and it really isn't cutting it. The rest of my audio setup consists of a Panny XR50,2 x Athena AS-F1.2, 2 x AS-C1, 2 x AS-B1, 2 x AS-R1. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks

·
Registered
2,571 Posts
Although the distance from the sub to the listening position does matter, you really need to consider the entire volume of connected space when selecting the sub. To be honest, I don't think the little Velodyne is going to be enough in an ~3000 cu ft room. It will be better than the Onkyo - the Velo amp rating and frequency response specs are more conservatively rated than the Onkyo - but I really think you would be happier if you step-up your budget a bit more.

·
Premium Member
13,594 Posts
From Velodyne's website:

Quote:
Step 1 - Determine the total volume of your listening space

When determining the cubic feet (width x length x height) of your room please note we are concerned about the entire room not just the listening or viewing area. If a listening room is "open" to a kitchen, for example, the kitchen's volume must also be considered. Higher ceilings and cathedral ceilings are a critical factor in determining the room's total volume.
Velodyne's "Find a Product"

Select the cubic feet of your room and the physical size preference. You'll get a list of the Velo sub's which meet your needs.

Craig

·
Registered
2,571 Posts
My budget never matches the sub mfg guidelines. :(

Due to the high ceilings and open floor plan of my living room, Velo sez I need an 1812! :eek:

*Sigh* - After a brief trip to fantasy land, we now return to reality. :D

·
Registered
8,700 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by billybob_jcv
My budget never matches the sub mfg guidelines. :(

Due to the high ceilings and open floor plan of my living room, Velo sez I need an 1812! :eek:

*Sigh* - After a brief trip to fantasy land, we now return to reality. :D

1812? What size is your room?

Ian

·
Registered
2,571 Posts
Well, assuming my math is correct, it works out to about 7000 cu ft. It is a "great room" living/family room that is approx 17' x 26' with high cathedral ceilings that slope up from ~13' to a peak of ~18'. AND - that's not counting the openings to the front entry and the kitchen. Looks great - but sucks for acoustics. I need to wait about 5 years for kid #1 to go to college so I can have his bedroom for HT. ;) Once they move out - I'm gonna make SURE they can't come back! :D

Actually, I have the perfect setup for an IB - there is a good anount of attic space behind the wall on one side, and all I would have to do is cut an opening for the baffle. But, there is NO FREAKIN' WAY my wife would go for it. I have enough trouble getting her to accept the speaker stands for the surrounds! :D

·
Registered
516 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I just picked up an Athena AS-P4000 and I really like it so far. I'm still playing around with the settings, but its a HUGE improvement over the Onkyo. When the sub is set to high, even my ceiling rumbles! :)

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.