AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
1,532 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am certainly considering the upgrade to PowerDVD XP and was wondering if this entails a new OS. I am currently using WinME/Radeon with the old 7093 drivers. Will the new PowerDVD perform better under XP?

John Moschella

·
Registered
629 Posts
Hmmm...

I have a Radeon 32DDR, Win2K (and the latest drivers that enable the overlay controls) - And hardware accel enabled looks terrible. I get all kinds of blocks and noise....Software mode looks beautiful...

-Ryan

·
Registered
3,240 Posts
You do not need to be running Windows XP, but you should be running the 7199 drivers with DXVA enabled. Drivers 7093 are not DXVA drivers and do not offer this solution. To enable HW acceleration with 7093 drivers does not give you the DXVA decoding method. I'm not saying that PowerDVD wont look decent with 7093 drivers whther HW is on or off, but theplayer is designed to run with DXVA drivers which you'll find int he 7199 verison for Windows 98x users.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Well to hardware acc. I tried ATI 5.0 and PDVD XP on XP with two different Radeons on XP and in my opinion PDVD Software mode gives the best picture quality.

The problem I saw in HW mode besides the bugs (some menus has problems sometimes the screen is messed up) was that there didn´t seem to be some kind of edge antialiasing enabled. Doesn´t matter on a TV but on a computer monitor it matters a lot if you can see stair like edges instead of straight lines. if you go from a dark to a bright color. As I said it doesn´t matter on a TV due to the natural AA most TVs have (they normally have less quality tubes to hide the fact how bad normal TV res really is)

The plus is however that HW acc pushes the processor load down quite a bit-not as much as in Win98 but I get 25% constant load with HW acc enabled and less with ATI DVD.

·
Registered
3,240 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by raugustyn
MikeM,

How would I know that the player uses the DXVA?

Thanks.
You have to look in the registry to make sure it's turned on in the drivers. If there is not a line identifying DXVA in the registry, you have to create one. Do a search on username Stephen Orr and subject matter DXVA enabled. That thread will tell you all you need to know. Again, without installing the right drivers, you cannot take advantage of DXVA whther you turn on HW accel or not.

·
Registered
1,532 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Quote:
Originally posted by MikeM
You do not need to be running Windows XP, but you should be running the 7199 drivers with DXVA enabled.

OK. What I am really trying to ask is if I have the 7199 drivers with DXVA enabled under Win98 or ME will this new player look better under WinXP?

·
Registered
3,240 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by John Moschella

OK. What I am really trying to ask is if I have the 7199 drivers with DXVA enabled under Win98 or ME will this new player look better under WinXP?
John:

I asked the same question a coupel of weeks ago and no one really could answer it. According to Cliff Watson, P-DVD 4.0 XP looks fabulous on XP and is the way to go, but he hadn't looked at it under earlier OS formats.

·
Registered
366 Posts
I don't know why, but like I said before I get much better PQ with HW accelaration off. The picture is silky smooth and sharp. If I enable HW accelaration then I get artifacts and stairstepping...

Very strange but I am happy with HW accelaration offf....

·
Registered
40 Posts
Well can´t comment on the artefacts but as I mentioned before the stair stepping is there when hw acc is on. I don´t know but I think it must be due to progressive deinterlacing without a decent filter afterwards. If you compare both software mode and hw mode, in hw mode the picture seems to be slightly sharper but the stair stepping is there (kind of ugly on a monitor) I can´t comment if the same exists in Win98 but I know that stair stepping phenomenon from Win2k it was there also with the few driver revisions where ICDT and adaptive deinterlacing worked. Maybe if someone from ATI reads this can you clarify what is going on there- is my assumption correct that an additional antialiasing is needed and not used (I´ve seen that problem on the ATI player as well in Win2k)

·
Registered
3,653 Posts
Be very careful here, it is important to know if you are watching video source or film. With video source HW mode off does look better but for film HW should be on. Often the stuff before the film starts is video so it doesn't count.

Jeff

·
Registered
817 Posts
Jeff: I suspect this has been discussed elsewhere, but how does PowerDVD (XP/4.0) compare to the ATI player on film-based content?

Where does one buy the new PowerDVD software?

·
Registered
1,532 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Quote:
Originally posted by jxo

Where does one buy the new PowerDVD software?
Jim, if you have one of the earlier versions there is upgrade pricing. I'm not sure if DC does that, if they don't then you'll have to go to the cyberlink website.

John Moschella

·
Premium Member
730 Posts
Quote:
Is it available yet? I thought that PowerDVD XP had not yet been finalized.
Bob-

It was supposedly going to be released on Monday, the 12th?! So, I'm not sure what their schedule is - I wonder myself.

I did decide to take a peak at the Taiwan Cyberlink webpage - and it appears to be on sale in Taiwan, but there is no online purchase/download.

So, I hope they are just updating their webpage for purchasing online!

Just a note: I'm going to definitely end up buying PowerDVD XP 4.0 and TT - just can't resist to compare.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Status
Not open for further replies.