AVS Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
541 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Need to decide by this weekend whether to trade in my Pio 816 for an Onkyo 604.

Weighing the extra $150 today to get HDMI capability, and how "futureproof" that will make me when I decide to spring for a BR or HDdvd sometime in the next couple years.

Have read all over the forums, can't figure out if indeed the 604 does do the LFE correctly or not.

Also just to be clear, as long as you're talking about 5.1, the 604 can take PCM over HDMI. Or, if you wanted to go 7.1 then you'd have to have the DVD player decode to analog, and you could come into the receiver thru the 7.1 analog inputs?

Any help appreciated - thanks

·
Registered
541 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack Gilvey /forum/post/0

Hopefully after the HD-A2 firmware comes out we'll be able to narrow down any problems seen with the combo. Assuming, of course, the firmware fixes low-audio 'n stuff.

That's a good point. Do I need to be as concerned if there is an LFE problem in the Onkyo, IF Onkyo could/would release a new firmware update later that addresses the problem?

Just need to call the ball here in the next couple days - don't want to overspend for something with known and unfixable issues right now......

Sounds like there is a lot of fog out there on some of these issues right now?

·
Registered
6,295 Posts

Quote:
That's a good point. Do I need to be as concerned if there is an LFE problem in the Onkyo, IF Onkyo could/would release a new firmware update later that addresses the problem?

I've never done such on a receiver...how would it work with the 604? Send it back?

Quote:
Just need to call the ball here in the next couple days - don't want to overspend for something with known and unfixable issues right now......

Yeah, I know. I'd just go out and buy one, but the wife wants to buy it for me, and I'd feel bad if I returned it. "Low LFE" wouldn't be a sufficient excuse.

·
Registered
541 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I thought I read somewhere that certain AVR manufacturers made firmware fixes that could be loaded by the home user, but I may be wrong.

I guess if not, then you'd bring it to a local Onkyo service center who could do it.

Anyone else know? Or could we all be stuck with lame AVRs while the "fixed" versions are being hawked by Circuit City.

·
Registered
541 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Gonna pick it up tonight - we'll see. For $350 I think it makes more sense to have the HDMI and PCM possibilities even if its only 5.1 rather than 7.1, versus my new Pio 816 for $250 which I will likely return.

·
Registered
160 Posts
From what I can tell (I own a 674) it does have the problem...but it can only be compensated for on the ANALOG LFE input....which doesn't make sense to me...since it'd already be decoded....unless it's allowing you to correct it AFTER something else falsely decoded it....which tells me that Onkyop KNEW about the problem....and therefore would have made sure that it's internal decoder DOES in fact add the correct db.

I think I just confused mySELF!

·
Registered
541 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by djmoose /forum/post/0

From what I can tell (I own a 674) it does have the problem...but it can only be compensated for on the ANALOG LFE input....which doesn't make sense to me...since it'd already be decoded....unless it's allowing you to correct it AFTER something else falsely decoded it....which tells me that Onkyop KNEW about the problem....and therefore would have made sure that it's internal decoder DOES in fact add the correct db.

I think I just confused mySELF!

I noticed something in the 604 manual about LFE adjustment, but the manual said "Some DVD players send the LFE signal 15db too HIGH" (emphasis and paraphrase mine). It then has an adjustment for 5,10 or 15db on the LFE - doesnt really say if that is an adjustment up or down.

Isn't this backward? I thought the issue was that the LFE came in too low and needed a boost at the AVR.

Perhaps the manual is just wrongly worded?

·
Registered
160 Posts
Here's my post from the official 674 thread:

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...&post9515726

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rieper /forum/post/0

Guys, I wanted to check in with regards to the Onkyo 674 receiver.

As an owner, I wanted to report that I found no 10db boost issue using my PS3 as a Blu-ray player. I felt plenty of rumble from my HSU Subwoofer, and the volume knob on the back of the sub was @ 12-o'clock.

However, after hooking up my new Toshiba HD-A2 HD-DVD player (via HDMI) this afternoon and playing the Mission Impossible 3 HD-DVD, I immediately noticed the LFE level was severely low (especially for a title as explosive as MI:3 is). So I immediately raised the Subwoofer level on the Onkyo speaker setup to +10db and now everything is fine.

So to recap:

The Onkyo 674 has no apparent 10db boost issue with Sony's PS3 as a Blu-ray player.

However, using Toshiba's new HD-A2 player, you have to raise the Subwoofer channel +10db in order to receive normal LFE listening levels.

So you have to manually keep adjusting the lfe level depending on what you watch?

Almost sounds like one of the sources (ps3 or HDDVD) is set to bitstream and the other set to PCM.

Maybe your HD-DVD player is set to PCM, and decoding everything itself incorrectly, that's why the level is low. Now, this would only make sense if your PS3 on the other hand, is set to bitstream and therefore the 674 is doing the CORRECT decoding.

Or, everything the other way around...

Thoughts?

·
Registered
725 Posts
just hooked mine up last night. i don't have an lfe problem. my floor is shaking. man i like this thing. i did notice some low volume during some talking scenes on the hulk hd dvd. but the wild blu-ray was very good. i'm using hdmi for both. i also have them hooked up with coax (bdps1) and opt. (a2) and i think the hdmi is a little cleaner and louder.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.