AVS Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Finally got around to doing the sub crawl. I definitely found two spots that sound significantly better than the rest. Unfortunately, one is in a doorway and the other is directly in front of the TV. Neither being particularly convenient.

So, I'm wondering if a new sub would have different characteristics such that its optimal location would be elsewhere. My current sub is a Polk RM303 which is begging to be replaced anyway...

Thanks

·
Registered
2,423 Posts
Yes different subs would reacty differently in a room.

·
Registered
616 Posts
I would expect for a sub of the same design and output it would not change. What is happening is that the sound waves are bouncing around in a way that you can hear. Technically speaking every frequency will have a different sweet spot as the issue is wavelength. A different sub with lower frequency output would couple to the room differently. The way to change the way things couple would be with bass traps not with a different sub.

Look at the thread on one or two subs. Very good link on what is happening.

·
Registered
1,439 Posts
Someone in the BIC PL-200 thread compared his eD A2-300 with his PL-200. Initially, he thought that the PL-200 was roughly comparable to his A2-300 (which he used in the same location as the PL-200). After doing the subcrawl, he discovered that there was a better location for the A2-300 (i.e., louder) than the location that was optimal for the PL-200.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts