AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
132 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Does WKYW lower the signal strength on weekends? I especially notice it during NFL games on Sundays. I live in Clinton, NJ and have trouble picking up CBS (WKYW) every weekend. My reception is fine all week long, but on the weekends the signal drops out repeatedly. It was fine for this weekend's SEC championship game, but on Sundays for the NFL games it constantly drops out. I have no trouble picking up the other networks such as NBC, PBS, FOX and ABC during this same time so I don't think it is weather related. I have a rooftop antenna, CM 4 bowtie type with Panny TUHDS20 receiver. Anyone else seeing dropouts during the NFL games?

Gabe

·
Registered
45 Posts
Gaber

We run full power 24 hours a day and have done so since October 29th, 1998, unless something breaks. Don't know why you would have problems with the NFL games. They are upconverted NTSC just like all the other SD programs. BTW, its KYW

CUL Jim

James M. Chase

Director Broadcast Operations & Engineering

KYW-TV / WPSG-TV

101 South Independence Mall East

Philadelphia, PA. 19106
[email protected]

·
Registered
96 Posts
I often have this same issue, although not in Philly when I watch the SEC game on Saturday vs. regular viewing during the week. I figured there must be something different about daytime and night time viewing like what happens with AM radio stations, the signal is easier to get at night.

I assume something like this happens for UHF?? Just my own theory based on no scientific fact.

·
Registered
1,242 Posts
Jim

I have to say I have noticed the same type of signal fade I used to be able to receive KYW 26-1 during the summer and part of the fall the same goes for WPSG now I can not receive either.

Nothing in my setup has changed, does the broadcast signal change in some at all during the AM to PM hours?? BTW I am located in Freehold NJ

·
Registered
132 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Jim,

Thank you for the response. At least I can rule out the possibility of fluctuating transmission strength. Maybe a different antenna would help. Will have to look at a yagi design perhaps. It's unfortunate that it only occurs on CBS since you guys certainly have the best high def programming around.

Gabe

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.