AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
488 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I want pioneer to usee the utility to lessen the noise, but I can't find it in black.

do they make such a beast? if so where?

thanks!

·
Registered
365 Posts
I don't think so.

I bought a Pioneer black slot DVD drive some time ago and paid a hell lot more than the same one in beige - it turned out the company who sold it spray painted the faceplate them selfs

Since then I got my own black satin spray and make my own black components

·
Registered
115 Posts
I got a painted black Pioneer Slot load DVD player (DVD-106) from Digital Connection. Works like a champ.

They now carry the DVD-120 here . They paint the face black and they do a good job (same as my DVD-106).

A patched region-free version of the firmware for the DVD-120 doesn't appear to be out yet, but here is a good place to look for it when it is out.

Kyle

·
Registered
4,484 Posts
Picking up a used 106S and black satin spraypaint will get you the biggest "bang for the buck" as of now :)

·
Registered
757 Posts
Based on feedback from this forum (thanks guys!), I tried the vinyl dye method of changing a new DVD drive to black. I had always paid the premium price to buy black drives, but NO MORE! The Plastikote vinyl dye you pick up at Pep Boys, etc. does a fantastic job of converting an ivory drive to black. The dye actually goes into the plastic, unlike paint which sits on top. Even if you make it "run", the dye gets absorbed and the runs disappear. The dye method is the only way to go. My results were "factory" quality. Take off the faceplate and small panel at the edge of the drive if it isn't a slot load to dye them off the drive. You get stellar, professional results that way.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.