AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
798 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Quick question.....Does a Plasma television need to be "broken-in" for any length of time prior to calibration?? If so how many hours for things to settle down?

I know rear projection sets do, but I am not sure about Plasma. Or LCD for that matter!!

Mark

·
Super Moderator
21,580 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by CMR
Quick question.....Does a Plasma television need to be "broken-in" for any length of time prior to calibration?? If so how many hours for things to settle down?
Yes: for the Jersey Shore Shootout, Cliff Plavin required at least 100 hours on my plasma before he would do ISF calibration-

a longer period of 200-300 hours is even better

·
Registered
43 Posts
I just want to make sure we are on the right page here. Do you mean, to leave the default standings out of the box and wait about 100 hour of use on the plasma before calibration?

·
Registered
798 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Smapor, you should never leave the default settings without first making sure they are NOT set to "TORCH" meaning everything set way to high (especially Contrast as this is the biggest culprit for burn).

If this is the case, you should adjust them to your liking but if you were to do a Full Calibration, You would wait 300 hours per Mark's (alot of Mark's on this Forum) instruction. Thanks Mark!!

Mark (CMR)

·
Super Moderator
21,580 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by smapor
I just want to make sure we are on the right page here. Do you mean, to leave the default standings out of the box and wait about 100 hour of use on the plasma before calibration?
it really does not matter- the purpose of the breakin period is there are some changes in brightness that occur over time with a plasma, and they are not linear- meaning there could be a greater rate of change during the first 100-300 hours of use

so in order that the calibration be effective for as long as possibe, you should let the display go through its breakin period first

no one is sure about the recalibration interval- it depends on hours of use, brightness levels, etc: after an approximately 1 year calibration interval on my Pioneer Pro1000 a very slight change in blue drive was required: this is explained here by ghibliss (Cliff):

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...10#post1802310

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Status
Not open for further replies.