AVS Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
120 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So if I have a trusted design with driver parameters and cabinet construction techniques, will the outcome sound different if the port is in the back, front, side, bottom etc?

·
Registered
5,251 Posts
Sometimes if the port is very large, facing it away from the listening area can reduce the impact of port resonances.

Also, there are some sophisticated designs that model the laminar flow inside a cabinet and squeak a tiny bit of extra performance out of port placement.

But generally speaking, not really.

·
Banned
15,491 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by DiscoDuck /forum/post/20795685

So if I have a trusted design with driver parameters and cabinet construction techniques, will the outcome sound different if the port is in the back, front, side, bottom etc?

It can. A very well engineered design can utilize the space between the floor or wall as a virtual extension of the cabinet, allowing lower response and/or sensitivity than otherwise possible from the box size. But very few cabs embody that level of sophistication.

·
Registered
21,345 Posts
bfm makes a good point. take a look at the revel salon2 bottom firing port for one example.

ricci also experienced this in his 21" b&c ported build. search for it. great thread.

·
Registered
952 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by DiscoDuck /forum/post/20795685

Yes. And the location of the port on that face matters too.

·
Registered
1,044 Posts
Port and driver coupling matter as does port coupling to driver and wall/floor interaction.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts