AVS Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
664 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Please don't laugh at me..

But is there any scientific reason that I should notice any difference (at all) between plugging my AVR straight into the wall vs. into a high end power conditioner (something like a Panamax 5300, for example)?

I kind of consider power "conditioning" in the same light that I consider "cryogenic frozen HDMI cables", but I'm always open to learning..

Does power conditioning actually do anything; or is it just something to look cool (which may be reason enough to buy it) in the rack?

·
Registered
22,119 Posts
^^^

i won't laugh...

nope. not a darn bit of difference. unless you have extraordinarily "bad" power (which would be rather uncommon in a 1st world country), or you have a specific issue that needs to be resolved (and can't be resolved by correcting that issue where it's being caused), your equipment is more than capable of dealing with whatever it gets from the wall...

they do look cool though... and i've bought many a thing because it looked cool...

·
Registered
18,923 Posts
I have no answers, but I will tell you that receiver's are loaded up with all sorts of power circuits which regulate voltage in various ways. A power conditioner seems redundant to me.

·
Registered
664 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
That's kind of what I thought. Power "conditioning" COULD potentially make more sense than something like "high end power cables", but, in my heart of hearts, I figured it was just snake oil.

However, if I can get a good price on one, I might buy it for the "cool" factor; they do look nice (and seeing amp draw would be interesting for me), and would allow me to do some nicer cable routing. I just didn't want to expect something to be "better"; I kind of figured it was all the same thing.. If the power is good enough to run a computer, it's probably also stable enough to have little (no audible) impact on the AVR.

·
Registered
1,444 Posts
Mine is in a conditioner but it's also a battery backup system.. and honesty that is the main reason. My external amp is not on a conditioner.

·
Registered
7,333 Posts
Unless you have completely documented horrible power issues with your location, I'm pretty much one of having the belief that power conditioners are snake oil for the general norm.... documented constant power spikes and fluctuations and spikes are one thing, and some places are well known for them, and conditioners can and will have their places in situations such as this, but otherwise IMO - I call BOGUS....

Now this is the time when people need to step up and take the time do do their homework with constant measuring of their unreliable power sources.... And it can and does happen... just make sure that you take the time to document these issues and personally I would approach the power company to see what they will do about the problem, as they are regulated to provide their customers with clean power....

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.