AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
556 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I really like PowerDVD 3.0, and am reluctant to switch to a different player. I current have an ELSA GeForce GTS card, and a AP 24/96 sound card. I am very happy with my configuration, but would like to get that "smoother more film like look" that is associated with the Radeon.

Since I have the Elsa, it came with a bundled version of PowerStrip, through which I have implemented the 1360x768 "perfect timings" for my DILA projector.

So, my question is - What would be the implications to my configuration of changing to Radeon hardware?

1) Would just a hardware change result in any improvement (do the 10 bit DACs help PowerDVD)?

2) How do you set up the Radeon hardware for 1360x768p 71.997 HZ as specified in the perfect timings?

3) Will my AP 24/96 card continue to work as it currently does, or are there implications upon how sound is done created by the switch?

Thanks,

Bernd

[This message has been edited by Bernd (edited 05-21-2001).]

·
Registered
147 Posts
Just set this up last night. The Radeon appears to work quite well (not really an exhaustive test). Will let you know if I find out any complications.

·
Registered
556 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
RSandor, I would be very interested in your opinions of the benefits of the switch to Radeon H/W vs. the hassle that you had to go through.

Thanks,

Bernd

·
Registered
3,316 Posts
PowerDVD or whatever player you use will still take advantage of the 10-bit DACs. Only a DILA setup like yours, I believe the difference would be noticeable.

I see no mention of the OS you are running. I'm no expert in this since I'm using 98 and run very generic resolutions with my setup (800x600 @ 60hz) but I believe the Radeon gives some trouble with custom T&R under Win 2k.

------------------

Cal Z.

Mits 65903 (65" widescreen HDTV)+ RCA DTC-100

and

Gateway Destination 27" (Princeton Arcadia based)+HTPC (Pentium II 400, 256mb, 20gb+9gb HD, Radeon LE, cybertainment tv tuner, asus dvd-rom, hercules game theater xp, Kenwood VR409 DTS receiver)

[email protected]

·
Registered
357 Posts
The biggest problem with PowerDVD is the awful picture quality when playing video material.

Film is also worse than WinDVD but by a smaller degree.

So I use WinDVD instead.

But the best player is supposedly ATIs own.

So whatever you do, install a different player and try it out before you buy a Radeon.

///Magnus

·
Registered
556 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Cal, the OS is Windows 96 SE. The resolution is 1360x768 @ 72Hz.

So, the essence of my question is - Have we found a way to do DILA resolutions for Radeon hardware in a way which supports any player?

Thanks,

Bernd

·
Registered
7,004 Posts
I have the latest version of the ATI DVD player, WinDVD and PowerDVD all installed on the same PIII/1GHz PC and using the Radeon LE graphics cards. I have used both WinDVD and PowerDVD on other PCs before. I have found PowerDVD to be by far the most stable of the 3 players. PowerDVD is still not perfect but will play more DVDs without problems than the other two. PowerDVD also appears to be compatible for more PC configuration than WinDVD. PowerDVD with the very latest patch comes very-very close to WinDVD and ATI DVD players in video quality. This is running WinDVD and PowerDVD without the use of the Radeon's hardware acceleration. With most video material the ATI Player produces a very good image (and uses the Radeon's hardware acceleration features). However, I find that the ATI player produces the most motion artifacts when dealing with very rapid vertical movements in the video material. Also its lack of DTS support is a real negative. As for setting up the Radeon and ATI DVD player with DVD-Genie and PowerStrip check out my web site at www.dtvmax.com/radeon_guide.htm

Ron Jones

·
Registered
688 Posts
with the lastest powerDVD patch - i agree exactly with Ron Jones!

f>

------------------
Vuf>
radeon htpc

denon avr-3300

denon dvd-2500

mitsubishi ws-55805

monitor audo silver series
s>

·
Registered
6,660 Posts
Bernd:

Well, you bought the PC Zoltrix capture card from me a while back, and I haven't heard any complaints, so i assume you like it... jim Taylor bought one off me near the same time, when he was the head of the JVC technical sales dept., so he could show the things to their highest calibre of signal source, and had me modify his Elsa Geforce card at the same time. So, i am sure that you are familiar with the fact that I will pursue a better quality image if it is out there. I switched to a modifed ATI Radeon LE card from my 64 meg GeForce card,and liked the results quite a bit. i use the Ati player, and with no anamorphic squeese, and with Powerstrip as well,for custom timings. Powerstrip has been enabled to handle the ATI chip, and does it with the same transparency as it handles the GeForce cards with. Custom T&R's are certianly availible,as this is all that I use as well.

the really GREAT part about using the ATI card on the DILA's is that the 10 bit video chips REALLY show up better here. As you stray away from perfect pixel multiples of the original DVD overlay, the hardware/software combination has to 'fake' the true color depth and pixel mapping.. this is very noticable on high end CRT units. ON DILA's the best you can hope for is perfect pixel mapping an that is what you have with the GeForce card. What you have with it is 8-bit color, which in the end, looks more like 7 bit color due to the interpolation. The perfect pixel mapping helps out considerably here, bringing about it's own enhancements, and giving you a noticibly better image than you would have wtithout the perfect mapping.

The ATI card has the 10 BIT DACS, which gives you a MINIMUM of the CORRECT minimum of 8-bit manipulation required for perfectly transparent color depth on the 'imperfect matching' (relative to the original overlay value of 720x480) of the DILA's native resolution. So, The ATI moves you a full MAGNITUDE towards a better image from DVD's sourced off of a HTPC as compared to the 8-bit DAC equipped GeForce cards.

------------------

goosystems.com

Ken Hotte

[email protected]

·
Registered
147 Posts
Hi Bernd,

Was using Geforce 2 (Asus 6800 board modded by taking out inductors/capacitors) before. After all sorts of system permutations (including adding/deleting a Hipix) it was time to totally rebuild the system. Not sure that this was a function of the ATI install (ATI LE board), but it got that way.

Using Win98SE and displaying to a DILA.

Picture really looks very good after doing basic pixel perfect adjustments. Can't say it was worth the hassle over all from the Asus (haven't done RF mods to ATI board yet).

Quick looks have me prefering WinDVD to PowerDVD, but again just starting to evaluate. Needed to load ATI 7089 driver revision to get it to work properly with Powerstrip 3 and DILA at 1360x768 (more recent drivers induced virtual desktop problem with screen scrolling to the left/right).

Best regards,

Quote:
Originally posted by Bernd:
RSandor, I would be very interested in your opinions of the benefits of the switch to Radeon H/W vs. the hassle that you had to go through.

Thanks,

Bernd

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.