AVS Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
680 Posts
What about using the Linear PCM option? I thought that lets the PS3 do the decoding, and it then just sends uncompressed audio info for each channel to your receiver (kind of like a PC sound card?)?


Forgive my noobishness.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
768 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by epsilon72 /forum/post/0


What about using the Linear PCM option? I thought that lets the PS3 do the decoding, and it then just sends uncompressed audio info for each channel to your receiver (kind of like a PC sound card?)?


Forgive my noobishness.

That should happen after the fabled "March Update"


Same thing for Dolby TrueHD also
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,606 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by epsilon72 /forum/post/0


What about using the Linear PCM option? I thought that lets the PS3 do the decoding, and it then just sends uncompressed audio info for each channel to your receiver (kind of like a PC sound card?)?


Forgive my noobishness.

Yes, it will do LPCM through HDMI. You just select PCM uncompressed audio track from the menu for the movie your watching.


As the other poster already said, DTS-HD will be turned on in the March PS3 firmware update. It's currently disabled in all PS3s.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
680 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by TwinTurboJosh /forum/post/0


That should happen after the fabled "March Update"


Same thing for Dolby TrueHD also
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rieper /forum/post/0


Yes, it will do LPCM through HDMI. You just select PCM uncompressed audio track from the menu for the movie your watching.


As the other poster already said, DTS-HD will be turned on in the March PS3 firmware update. It's currently disabled in all PS3s.

*breathes sigh of relief*



It's good to know that I didn't make a mistake in pulling the trigger on an Onkyo TX-SR604 a few days ago. Thanks.


Bring on the big March update!
(march update = end of us ps3 owners being "beta testers")
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,171 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hyabusha /forum/post/0


I played X-MEN Last Stand Blu-Ray. And my Pioneer Elite VSX-82TXS only says DDPLIIx MV+THX. No DTS, and only at 5.1.


What settings In the PS3 audio menu do I need to enable? Thanks

I have a Pioneer Elite VSX-81TXS. I was also getting only 5.1 audio(the display showed "PCM") when I popped in X-Men 3. When I switched the PS3 setting from Linear PCM to Bitstream however, the display showed DTS Discrete and I was getting 6.1 surround with the rear center channel.


Basically you have to toggle back and forth between LPCM and Bitstream depending on which Blu-ray disc you're watching. At least til Sony updates the PS3 with an Auto option in the audio settings.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,213 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by TwinTurboJosh /forum/post/0


That should happen after the fabled "March Update"


Same thing for Dolby TrueHD also

No, Dolby TrueHD is fully supported right now by PS3. DTS-HD-MA support is what we are waiting for in March.
 
1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Top