AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
1,252 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm having a Best Buy technician come by to look at my TV in the near future. Does anyone know if removing the glare screen would void the warranty of a Best Buy service plan? If you were me, would you put the glare screen back on when they come to check the TV? They are coming to look at a problem I have been having with jittery/shaky grid lines (some kind of convergence problem I suppose).

I'd rather not have to put the screen back on if it is not necessary.

Thanks.

·
Registered
3,316 Posts
My Mitsubishi came with it off and had instructions on how to install it rather simply. I'm not sure something as mundane would affect your warranty. You could always ask them anonymously.

·
Registered
912 Posts
Hockey, I don't foresee it being an issue. But, to be safe, you may want to put it back on before the tech comes. I think that would be your best bet (albeit a lot of trouble!).

·
Registered
1,252 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for your input guys. I think I will just keep it off. Maybe the repair guy won't even notice that it is off. Anyway, I didn't read anywhere in the service plan about what voids the warranty besides unauthorized repair or abuse. I don't consider removing the glare screen to fall into either of those catagories.

If it does void the warranty, at least then I can cancel the remaining portion of my warranty and get a large portion of my money back.

·
Registered
28 Posts
I'd put it on, to protect the lenticular from the Tech.

·
Registered
55 Posts
I have had a 50" Hitachi RPTV since 1994. It has survived many partys, little kids, etc. with never a scratch on my unprotected screen and I don't have the aggravation of unwanted glare. I think each manufacturer should make the protective screen an option, reduce the price of the set and let the owner make the decision.

If Mitsu DOES NOT preattached the screen but make it available in the box THAT is great BUT they are still charging for it. I believe it is a CYA for the manufacturers so they don't get stuck with a lot of phony out of the box scratch claims to worry about. If some people simply don't like the set they might use this as a reason to return it or THEY scratch it and try to blame the manufacturer or the delivery/setup people.

It just seems to me the darn things are more trouble than they are worth!

hoog

·
Registered
1,252 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Scott, I'm not to sure what convergence errors from screen sag would look like. Although I did start having this problem shortly after the glare screen was removed. Is it possible that removing the glare screen would be causing my problems?

·
Registered
731 Posts
Are all three colors in the grid jumping together? If so, it could be the screen, but you can test that very easily. Just apply light pressure to the center of the screen with the grid displayed, if the jitter stops, the screen is loose and probably vibrating due to some air current or sound.

Obviously, don't use your (oily) finger to apply the pressure, put a baggie on your hand or use a soft cotton cloth like you'd clean the lenticular with.

·
Registered
1,252 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Good suggestions guys. I tried applying pressure to the screen with a baggie over my hand. While the screen is a little loose, the lines did not stop jittering. It's mainly the red and green lines that jitter. The blue appears to be solid. I really wish I never had my TV calibrated. :(

It seems to get worse the longer the TV is on. I have a new convergence board on order. We will see if that helps. By the way, thanks Roger for your answer on my convergence board question in my other post. You have been very helpful.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.