AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I may be just a bit paranoid, but I thought this was rather strange.

I bought a 5040 a couple months ago from Buy.com. I had other priorities, and didn't get the thing set up. Finally I saw some people were paying $300 for the subscription when my unit said the cost was $250. I subscribed, (cost $250) but was a bit confused on how to get it to see 4DTV and Cox cable channels, plus eastern time zone. With the holiday hassles, I just let it sit for a few weeks.

I got a call on my answering machine last week from Replay TV asking if I had any questions about the unit. I'm wondering if they were able to see that I didn't use the device after registering, or if they call everyone.

Kinda scary if they're getting reports on what I watch.

Paul

·
Registered
2,591 Posts
Well, to add to your paranoia, ReplayTV has always known what you watch. As far as anyone knows, this information is not shared or sold to 3rd parties. The details are sketchy at best on how it works on ReplayTV (I actually know a lot more about this issue on Tivo, even though I don't own one). Anyhow, it's been done for years and I haven't heard of anyone being pulled in by the FBI..... yet.

I have heard a few people getting calls from ReplayTV. I actually have a relative who's job is to call people who recently purchased a product or service to find out how well they like it. Many companies pay her company for this service. Not everyone will get a call, but many will.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.