AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
If you are using the video inputs to connect a DLP/LCD projector to a video source (eg, DVD), does the underlying resolution of the projector (800x600, 1024x768) make any difference at all?

I plan on using one in lieu of a large TV.

·
Registered
2,035 Posts
Yes, it does. High resolution like 1280x1024 removes almost completely the screen door effect.

------------------

Robert

·
Registered
17,711 Posts
Oren: All projectors Project an image at their native resolution. So if you connect your DVD or VCR directly to it then the projector has to recalculate the image. Most projectors do a very bad job at it. If that is what you are planning to do, then the greater the resolution the fuzzier the image will be (obviously it will also depend on the Projector), and I would recommend that you go with the lesser resolution and save the money.

·
Registered
735 Posts
yes it does make a difference, but the effect is a personal one. I personally like the look of 1365x1024 over 800x600 for all material including ntsc (cable tv and interlaced dvd). I do use an external scaler. Others will like 800x600 better. Best advise is to take a look for yourself.

·
Registered
779 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by robena:
Yes, it does. High resolution like 1280x1024 removes almost completely the screen door effect.

No, it does not remove screen door. Screen door may be more noticeable with older lower res LCD style projectors with low fill factors but the screen door exist within all digital projectors. Screen door is the pixel fill factor i.e. if you look at one physical pixel on your digital projector and see how much of it is color vs black outline. My LCD projector is 1366 x 768 and if you compare it to most DLP 800X600 or 1024x768 projectors it will have a more pronounced screen door and it has a much higher resolution. Lower res projectors may make certain artifacts such as aliasing more apparent, but lets be clear just because you see digital pixels or artifacts that is not the same as screen door. Many of the issues with screen door can be resolved with proper focus which and IMO I would rather have screen door than flashing rainbows.

Regards,

Brian

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
OK, well my plan was to get (after demo of course) the Lightware LX-8, but then I saw the LS-8 which is identical but lower res and less $$ (both are DLP). So, that's what got me thinking about this whole issue. My understanding about the screen door effect is that it is much less pronounced with DLP than LCD despite the little dimples where the mirrors are attached.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.