AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
1,395 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was just wondering for those of you who have purchased from them.

I ordered a Sharp 9000 (yes I know, it's my 4th digital projector so far, but I think my last) from them on Wednesday but as of today (early saturday morning) still have not received tracking information despite their promise to get it to me by friday evening.

I'm not bashing them or saying they cheated me. Just getting a tad bit worried because it's a pricey purchase. And yes, I did call and leave a message asking for the tracking #.

They're $500 more than price japan but I wanted the protection and ease of using the credit card directly. I'm beginning to think that PJ might have been the way to go. . .

·
Registered
916 Posts
Chris,

When I was doing my research on who to buy my PJ from, RK was on my short list. Back then, they had the Marantz at $1K higher than PJ. I read up on them to see if they were a legitimate source or just some fly-by-night outfit. I could only find good talk regarding them. I, too, wanted to protect myself with the CC purchase and was willing to pay the extra $. I sent them a question via e-mail about their price (firm or negotiable) in a very nice tone and got back a pretty snotty reply. They could have handled THAT in a better fashion, I thought, so I ended up scratching them off and buying from PJ. By the way, PJ handled the transaction very, very well! I think I did good. Finally, you shouldn't worry about your transaction with RK as it should be protected by your CC company.

Best of luck to you with your new 9000!

Victor

·
Registered
2,932 Posts
I bought a Sharp 9000 from RK and was very pleased with my transaction with them. I got the confirmation from their contact in Japan almost immediately. They were slow getting me the tracking number (they called me and left a message on my answering machine 4 days after I ordered it). The PJ arrived the day after I got the tracking number.

Hope this reassures you while you wait.

Tim

·
Registered
385 Posts
I got my Z9000 from them and the service was EXCELLENT!. They gave me my tracking no. right away and my pj arrived within a week of ordering! They even include a phone no. if you need to reach them. Yeah, they may be a little more pricey than *************** but the service is alot better! (They even include a nice English manual in a 3-ring binder as well as a D4 converter cable).

·
Registered
916 Posts
Carl,

We all know that RK has better service than PJ! How dare you ask! That $500 difference bought PSB "a nice English manual in a 3-ring binder as well as a D4 converter cable"!!!!!

Now that's service!:rolleyes:

·
Registered
11,020 Posts
Victor:

I know you are joking so don't take this reponse as directed at you.

Forgetting the issue of "better" service, I can see where having the option to pay by credit card (instead of wire transfer) and the ability to deal with a representative in the states that speaks fluent English could easily be worth an extra $500.00 to SOME people considering the dollar amounts involved.

A couple of question for RK Media purchasers:

1) I looked on their web site and nowhere do they have a policy statement or explain that they are not authorized dealers for the products they are selling. Do they explain this WITHOUT being asked to prospective purchasers. I assume/hope they do.

2) How does warranty work. Do you ship it to them and they ship it to Japan or do you ship it to Japan directly?

3) What type of policies do they have (returns, restocking etc)

4) If they are just getting the product from Japan, are there any value added services they offer (in addition to taking credit card and speaking English)?

Thanks

·
Registered
916 Posts
Q,

How could you tell I was joking? :rolleyes:

Seriously though, I agree with you. If you read the top of this thread (my first post), I stated:

Quote:
I, too, wanted to protect myself with the CC purchase and was willing to pay the extra $.
At that time, the difference was $1K on the Marantz between PJ and RK. This was a bearable amount to pay for protection from my CC company. I just didn't like the tone I got back from their reply e-mail. And yes, they should clarify all the points you mentioned on their website as clearly as PJ does.

·
Registered
132 Posts
I paid for my marantz vp12s1 on 5/20/02 (from RK). I still haven't received an email with a tracking number (as of 6/08/02). I have left numerous messages and sent many emails. I have only received one email back stating that the marantz is very hard to get and promising me that I would have it soon. I'm getting very frustrated and concerned. Good thing I paid with a credit card.

Wish me luck.

·
Registered
11,020 Posts
imagamejunky:

The last time I looked Kwon was stating on his web site that there is a 1 month minimum wait on the Marantz and that you have to put down a deposit and can get your money back if you have to wait too long. Marantz has cut down on the number of projectors they are releasing to the Japanese market and you are feeling the result of that.

·
Registered
14 Posts
I bought a sharp 9000 from RKmedia about 5 months ago. I am very happy with the PJ. I did have to call to get the tracking number. They explained their computer server was having problems.

·
Registered
2,932 Posts
QQQ -

A few months ago I saw a policy statement on their web site. They clearly stated that they were gray market and what to expect if there were problems. I can no longer find that statement on their site, so I just emailed them asking what the heck happened to it. It is disturbing that it is no longer there, and I hope that they put it back up.

Tim

·
Registered
1,395 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
QQQ - you're right, it would be nice if they had that statement. However I suppose they're not breaking any laws by not putting it there. After all, they do give the correct model number for the projector, which TECHNICALLY indicates that it's not the U.S. version.

As far as talking about the warranty, to be fair Ray from RK didn't have a chance to tell me. I asked him first thing on the phone if it had a Japanese warranty and he said yes. I neglected to ask him if RK would be an intermediary for a warranty issue. He did say that not one out of the 300 Sharp 9000's he claimed to have sold had needed warranty service. Whether that's true, who knows.

I didn't ask about a return policy because I simply assumed there was none. RK no longer stocks their projectors - they just have them shipped directly from Japan now.

In any case I got my tracking number from them on Saturday, although the post office website still doesn't show it as being active. I also received my super-duper 3-ring binder already, mailed from their California location. =)

I'll let you know how the projector is when it gets here.

·
Registered
385 Posts
Hey, if you have ANY doubt about purchasing overseas......why the hell do it? It's up to you as a "smart" consumer to know everything you can about the risks and benefits before "buying. That being said, I feel that **********'s service isn't up to the level of RK's.....1) They don't have a US phone no., 2) E-mail response is slow (Ray from RK was in constant contact w/me by phone throughout the whole purchase--even on a weekend!) and 3) by the time you add shipping, double-boxing, and insurance to the base price, it isn't that much less than RK's. Hey, you wanted an opinion about RK, I gave it to you......no need to insult people about it!:mad:

·
Registered
384 Posts
I purchased my sharp 9000 about 7 mo's ago from RK. I had excellent service and felt the extra $ over PJ was worth the piece of mind of dealing with a c.c. and a US based business. His rating on ebay was and is superior. Ray for me was very easy to deal with and a very nice person. My experience could not have been better!

Dave

·
Registered
35 Posts
I purchased from RKMedia and was very pleased . I started oot getting the Marantz and waited for a while, however I switched to the Sharp. Had the PJ in 3 Day in my house.

Its a supply issue....

Chris

·
Registered
1,395 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Does anyone know how long it takes EMS tracking numbers to get into the system? Mine is supposedly 2 days old now but at usps.com it still says they have no record of it. I guess it's no surprise that it takes so long - this is the government we're talking about.

·
Registered
513 Posts
chrisreeves:

I ordered my Sharp 9000 from RK and they left the "JP" off of the end of the tracking number. FWIW - i ordered on a Monday and received the projector from Japan on Saturday. Not too shabby! =)

All-in-all my experience with RK Media was very favorable.

- Ryan

·
Registered
32 Posts
I had no issues with RK Media as well... I ordered back in January and had my projector in 4 days time.... a lot quicker then I thought!

·
Registered
1,395 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Thanks for all your helpful comments, I do appreciate it. The projector left Japan about 24 hours ago and since I live on the west coast I'm hoping to have it tomorrow. =)

1 - 20 of 23 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.