AVS Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
319 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
If I have a DVR hooked up to my TV via HDMI and my TV hooked up to speakers (sound bar) via HDMI (ARC), does the HDMI (ARC) pass the 5.1 signal from Dish DVR? Its a Samsung UN50F7100.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
13 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by brazosdog02  /t/1503837/does-samsung-tv-pass-5-1-on-via-arc#post_24036498


If I have a DVR hooked up to my TV via HDMI and my TV hooked up to speakers (sound bar) via HDMI (ARC), does the HDMI (ARC) pass the 5.1 signal from Dish DVR? Its a Samsung UN50F7100.
 

I'm pretty sure it does. I have my 360 and PS3 into my TV (UN46ES6150), and then a cable from the TV to the receiver. I haven't had any issue with my 5.1 sound.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
319 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
OK. Just playing with different options on my sound bar....let the TV handle everything vs. plugging everything into the sound bar.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
13 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by brazosdog02  /t/1503837/does-samsung-tv-pass-5-1-on-via-arc#post_24036527


OK. Just playing with different options on my sound bar....let the TV handle everything vs. plugging everything into the sound bar.
 

Yeah that's the most common way I've seen. All the video to the TV and then the audio via HDMI or optical from the TV to the soundbar.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
7,002 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by brazosdog02  /t/1503837/does-samsung-tv-pass-5-1-on-via-arc#post_24036498


If I have a DVR hooked up to my TV via HDMI and my TV hooked up to speakers (sound bar) via HDMI (ARC), does the HDMI (ARC) pass the 5.1 signal from Dish DVR? Its a Samsung UN50F7100.
Its very rare that a TV will just passthrough the 5.1 signals. Most standard audio outs on TV's only output stereo even if just intaking surround sound


Best sound you can would be going from the device directly to the AV receiver and just output the video to the TV
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
13 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by crazyrob425  /t/1503837/does-samsung-tv-pass-5-1-on-via-arc#post_24036657



Its very rare that a TV will just passthrough the 5.1 signals. Most standard audio outs on TV's only output stereo even if just intaking surround sound


Best sound you can would be going from the device directly to the AV receiver and just output the video to the TV
 

I think you're right actually. I forgot that I put an optical cable straight to my receiver from my 360 and then the HDMI to the TV.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
319 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
But an HDMI WILL pass the 5.1 back to the receiver right? I know an optical won't unless its straight to the receiver.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,315 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by brazosdog02  /t/1503837/does-samsung-tv-pass-5-1-on-via-arc#post_24036498


If I have a DVR hooked up to my TV via HDMI and my TV hooked up to speakers (sound bar) via HDMI (ARC), does the HDMI (ARC) pass the 5.1 signal from Dish DVR? Its a Samsung UN50F7100.

Both devices have to support ARC, and if the device that you are trying to send the digital TV signal to, uses an "older" HDMI version, then audio may not work. I think your post states that you do in fact have the HDMI cable hooked to the "marked" ARC HDMI "out" on the TV. My Samsung 8000 model has ARC stamped on the "HDMI 2" "out port". I could not find your TV model number in the Samsung support web site...many, many, many numbers there. Did you look for this answer in the TV section of AVS? "The official UN50F7100 thread"
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
7,002 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by brazosdog02  /t/1503837/does-samsung-tv-pass-5-1-on-via-arc#post_24036958


But an HDMI WILL pass the 5.1 back to the receiver right? I know an optical won't unless its straight to the receiver.
Yes a Blu-ray player will output surround sound from its HDMI cable to the receiver
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,315 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by crazyrob425  /t/1503837/does-samsung-tv-pass-5-1-on-via-arc#post_24036657


Its very rare that a TV will just passthrough the 5.1 signals. Most standard audio outs on TV's only output stereo even if just intaking surround sound


Best sound you can would be going from the device directly to the AV receiver and just output the video to the TV

^^^ Really??? Don't know if that is true, but he did not mention a receiver...yet.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,315 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by crazyrob425  /t/1503837/does-samsung-tv-pass-5-1-on-via-arc#post_24038208


Yes a Blu-ray player will output surround sound from its HDMI cable to the receiver

Is he talking about a Blu-Ray player?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
121 Posts
Quote:Originally Posted by crazyrob425 

Yes a Blu-ray player will output surround sound from its HDMI cable to the receiver


Is he talking about a Blu-Ray player?
What about the apps in the smart hub? For example, can the 7150 output 5.1 from a Netflix movie, either via optical or hdmi?
 
1 - 14 of 14 Posts
Top