AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
352 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Sorry if I missed this question in my searching.

My cable provider is going to have HDTV this summer so I was wondering if the PQ will be as good as Dish or DirectTV.

It would be a lot easier for me just to go cable, but I will go Dish if cable PQ is not as good.

Thanks,

mark

·
Registered
2,118 Posts
Mark:

HD on DirecTV and TW Cable in my area looks to have similar, high quality pictures. Both have occasional dropouts but I have seen them more frequently on a friend's satellite feed than I have on cable. SD seems equally poor. I haven't seen HD on Dish.

The significant differences seems to be in channel offerings (no HD Net or Discovery HD on my cable system) and on premium channels - satellite service, I assume because of limited bandwidth, seems to use more compression. Of course, cable service varys from one area to another so you cannot judge cable by what I get. I will say that, although pricey, cable has provided a good quality signal. Since there is no capital investment, it is worth a try. You might want to find someone in your area who already gets cable and talk to them. I did that through the forum on local HD reception before I bought my HD monitor. That way you know what you are in for...

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.